Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Straight Trunk Bunjin

+9
dorothy7774
Oliver Muscio
sunip
greenstar
Russell Coker
Todd Ellis
AlainK
RichLewis
Rob C
13 posters

Go down

Straight Trunk Bunjin Empty Straight Trunk Bunjin

Post  Rob C Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Hello all.. This is a unique tree that I have been working on for about 5 years.. Originally purchased as a tall bush. I thought it had some good potential. In my opinion, a tree is either a bunjin or it isn't..I think a good bunjin cannot really be made or created, it does not seem to be like the other styles. The tree decides whether it is a bunjin or not. Sure we trim and wire, but that is just to enhance the natural state of this particular style.

This tree is pretty tall.. probably a bit over 2 feet. The tree has a moderate amount of wire on it. Hopefully, this will be the final stage of development. This, along with some apex maturing and work. I hope you enjoy looking at this tree as much as I do when I see it everyday. Comments welcome..

Rob

Straight Trunk Bunjin Bunjin2

Straight Trunk Bunjin Bunjin3

Straight Trunk Bunjin Copy2ofBunjin1

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Straight Trunk Bunjin Empty Re: Straight Trunk Bunjin

Post  RichLewis Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:59 pm

very nice rob, but would like to see a pic against a dark background to see the deadwood better

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Thank you Rich. Actually, there is no shari on this tree.. There are several jins though.. Here is a pic of the jins. Very Happy

Straight Trunk Bunjin Copyofpictures2039

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:17 am

I love it. Cool

In my opinion, a tree is either a bunjin or it isn't..I think a good bunjin cannot really be made or created, it does not seem to be like the other styles. The tree decides whether it is a bunjin or not.

Er... Well, if you say so. scratch
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:20 am

I like it Rob! What changes would Kimura make to it I wonder?
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Straight Trunk Bunjin Empty Straight Trunk Bunjin

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:55 am

Hello Rob. Some very fine bonsai you are sharing with us. By asking for comments, is there something that niggles you with this tree? If it were mine, I would change the top considerably. The canopy is far too ordered/ regimented, compared with the trunk and the dead branches in my opinion. More jin and foliage separation in the top would make a more convincing tree to me. Still a very good piece of work and at this level any comments will be personal taste. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:06 am

Hi Rob.

I like it too, but I have to agree with Will. The design of the top, and the foliage are almost "too perfect' - if that makes any sense.

I liked your other trees alot too.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  greenstar Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 am

Very nice.I like it very much.
greenstar
greenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 am

Hi.
...probably reducing the length of the second branch will help. making the foliage pad nearer to the trunk.
Nice tree by the way.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Rob,
Really high quality.
I looked a few times at this tree, but something is not right for me in the top part.
Is it the lowest left branch together with the curving of the trunk to the right?
The lowest right branch?
Lowering the apex maybe by cutting the upper three green branches?
Other front side?
I really would like to see this tree from all sides (the handrail disturbs the picture)
Fun to find other solutions, maybe somebody can make some virtuals.
regards, Sunip

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:10 pm

I think that part of the problem (such as it is--I would love to have this tree) is that the straight section sitting on top of the curve to the right looks just like a perfect little formal upright tree sitting up there--a little too perfect and too straight. I also wondered about the first branch descending to the left, but I don't think its removal would result in a better tree. Perhaps you can put some curvature into the top section, and maybe reduce the symmetry of the branching?
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Very fine work, Rob. If anything - a slightly brought down apex might benefit the elegant design. Nicely done.

Straight Trunk Bunjin Bunjin10[img][/img]
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Hilton Meyer Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Straight Trunk Bunjin Litera10

Very drastic but I would also decrease the foilage and bring them closer to the trunk

Hilton Meyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:47 pm

I like it as it - very well done.
The pot works nicely with the tree. Put some moss on the soil and show it!

However, its not really a straight trunk, there lots of little wiggles. Laughing

PS Great first name you have there! What's the"C" stand for?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Well,,, One thing this tree does is always draw a lot of attention... I was told a while ago that it is the kind of tree that makes you stop and look at it...

I’ll try to address each comment..

Hi Alaink.. Thank you… What I mean about the tree deciding, is that a good bunjin will have age behind it, yet a thin elegant trunk. This style cannot be created, like a cascade or an informal upright.. Of course this is just my opinion Laughing

Hi Todd…Well, Kimura is one of my favorite bonsai artist… Maybe we would get a cascading bunjin..lol Very Happy

Hello and thanks Will…Yes, I like and welcome all comments and I am always interested in how people see the same tree. This tree has always had people that like it and people that don’t.. Not much middle of the road… Actually, with this tree, I have gone for something different. Even though it is a bunjin, I have put my own character to the tree… It is uniform on purpose…Also, when you see it in person, there really is not a lot of foliage on it.. I fear that to strip it down further, would compromise the health of this tree. This is something I am not willing to gamble with. I do agree with what you said.. If this was a more typical bunjin, I would would have already done those things to it Very Happy

Thank you Russell.. Yes, it is almost too perfect, but it was on purpose. Very Happy

Thank you greenstar

Hello Jun.. Thank you.. Yes, I can see how shortening that branch might be an improvement

Hello sunip… actually, yes, there are all kinds of bonsai, against the grain, things with this tree. However, I think when added all together, it works..It is all the things that go against the grain that make this tree unique

Hello Dorothy, I like your virt very much

Hello Hilton, well, a little too drastic, but interesting. Also, I do not think the tree would be able to survive on such little foliage.

Hello Rob.. Thank you very much..and you are correct, there are lots of subtle bends in it.. also the c stands for Carreau.

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  -Brent- Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:26 am

I'm with Dorothy on lowering the apex a "touch" but nevertheless, absolutely breathtaking as is.
Super job.

Brent
-Brent-
-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 pm

My teacher told me that to make a impressive bunjin bonsai by making the apex move like the body of the tree. Im not skilled to make a virt, maybe some else can.

Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down