Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some Ficus

+8
lnvinh
marcus watts
Todd Ellis
Jerry Meislik
moyogijohn
giangthanhson
caycanhvn2012
xuan le
12 posters

Go down

Some Ficus  Empty Some Ficus

Post  xuan le Fri May 20, 2011 9:42 am

I just defoiated some of my Ficus I like to shae with you some pictures.

Xuan

Some Ficus  Just_d10
Some Ficus  05-20-12
The other side
Some Ficus  05-20-13[/url
[url=https://servimg.com/view/14666237/104]Some Ficus  05-20-14

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Some Ficus  Empty Re: Some Ficus

Post  caycanhvn2012 Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:44 am

the fird tree is very nice,thank for sharing. Razz
caycanhvn2012
caycanhvn2012

Back to top Go down

Post  giangthanhson Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 am

cây đầu tiên rất đẹp bác Xuân ạ Smile cháu rất thích, nó nhìn rất đáng yêu ạ

giangthanhson

Back to top Go down

Some Ficus  Empty some ficus

Post  moyogijohn Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 am

Xuan Le ,, You have some very nice trees !! I like the 3rd one down a lot..may i ask where you get these trees to work with?? good job working them..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks you all guys for your comments,
To John,
I bought this tree years ago from a guy who told me it is imported from Vietnam

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Very nice Ficus.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Xuan,
I like your trees. The first one is my favorite. I wonder how it would look on a rock slab?
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:21 am

i'm getting to really like ficus - first one is my favorite, 2nd/3rd is like a baby elephant sitting down Very Happy - they do ramify nicely. Anyone in the uk keeping them outdoors in the better weather and just indoors for winter?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 am

Thanks Jerry, Todd and Marcus
@Todd,
I think it will looks great on a slab, but since the tree itself is already heavy for me to handle using a slab will be a problem to move it around.
@Marcus,
Years ago in the old version of this IBC forum (in the early 2,000 I believe) I post the picture of the second tree here and some nice person (I forgot who it was) replied with this picture
Some Ficus  Photoshop
Since then I name it Scooby Doo
Regards
Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  lnvinh Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:59 am

xuan le wrote:
@Marcus,
Years ago in the old version of this IBC forum (in the early 2,000 I believe) I post the picture of the second tree here and some nice person (I forgot who it was) replied with this picture
Some Ficus  Photoshop
Since then I name it Scooby Doo
Regards
Xuan

Look at the shape of the tree is very similar picture, imagine someone very much like the Scooby Doo.

lnvinh

Back to top Go down

Post  manosvince Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am

Nice trees! What season is there now? What are the temperatures? I'm asking because I want to defoliate some ficus of mine , but I dont really know when is the right period of the year.
manosvince
manosvince

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 am

Funny! The first thing I thought of when I saw the "other side" view of your second tree was "that looks like a seated dog with a tree growing out of its head"! Glad I'm not the only one.

Beautiful trees - do you know what varieties they are? I'd like to see a better photo of the third one, with the leaves off the pot and a simpler background...if possible!

Chrs
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:56 am

manosvince wrote:Nice trees! What season is there now? What are the temperatures? I'm asking because I want to defoliate some ficus of mine , but I dont really know when is the right period of the year.

I posted these pictures since May and for some reason our friends start to comment now, and it is at the end of Falls here

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:59 am

manosvince wrote:Nice trees! What season is there now? What are the temperatures? I'm asking because I want to defoliate some ficus of mine , but I dont really know when is the right period of the year.

When to defoliate Ficus depends upon your climate, here in Florida we will usually defoliate in mid to late winter, but from about Vero Beach south, defoliation can be done anytime of year.
You need to be able to control the water, because the defoliated tree will not need as much and over watering will kill a tree faster than about anything except a freeze.
You will also want a prospect of warm weather to stimulate and maintain new growth.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:21 pm

coh wrote:Funny! The first thing I thought of when I saw the "other side" view of your second tree was "that looks like a seated dog with a tree growing out of its head"! Glad I'm not the only one.

Beautiful trees - do you know what varieties they are? I'd like to see a better photo of the third one, with the leaves off the pot and a simpler background...if possible!

Chrs

Coh,
Here are some other pictures of the 3rd tree (in chronological order). I don't know exactly what varieties these Ficus are (I think of retusa or microcarpa) I hope that our friend Jerry Meislik can identify them, but the 3rd Ficus has its new leaves kind of redish color as you can see here
Some Ficus  Ficusretusa2
Some Ficus  Ficusretusa1
Some Ficus  Ficusretusa4
Some Ficus  Ficusretusa5

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  manosvince Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:29 pm

xuan le wrote:

I posted these pictures since May and for some reason our friends start to comment now, and it is at the end of Falls here

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

When to defoliate Ficus depends upon your climate, here in Florida we will usually defoliate in mid to late winter, but from about Vero Beach south, defoliation can be done anytime of year.
You need to be able to control the water, because the defoliated tree will not need as much and over watering will kill a tree faster than about anything except a freeze.
You will also want a prospect of warm weather to stimulate and maintain new growth.

So , a good time for my climate would be before spring I guess, right?

Thank for your replies!
manosvince
manosvince

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:56 pm

I would guess all are Ficus microcarpa.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Jerry Meislik wrote:I would guess all are Ficus microcarpa.
Jerry

Thanks Jerry.
Is there any difference between microcarpa and retusa?
Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:41 pm

I think retusa is more a nurseryman's name and microcarpa is the correct name.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Billy is right on.
I label them all as microcarpa and retusa is a variant of microcarpa with a bit different leaf shape.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Some Ficus  Empty Some Ficus

Post  bonsaisr Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Ficus retusa and Ficus microcarpa are both legitimate names of separate Ficus species, according to the Plant List.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Iris,
you are right in that the List does carry both as legitimate names. However, the section is "under review".
Without getting into a murky cauldron of Ficus naming, I have looked at many specimens of plants labeled as retusa and microcarpa, and not being a botanical expert they look very similar to me. My personal approach is to keep them both under the name microcarpa. When the scientists finish their review I would be willing to separate the two out once I know
how.
Sorry if I misled anyone.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down