Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed

4 posters

Go down

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Empty Tamarindus and Delonix from seed

Post  Anne Thu May 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Hello all,

I've been growing these on my Belgian windowsill. Both are about 7 years old now. No flowers, of course, but they grow well, and I enjoy them.

I've been pruning them both. Delonix gets HUGE (more width than height) and the Tamarind looses a lot of leaves over winter. Pruned back, they spring into action again quite quickly.

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Tamari10

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Tamari11

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Tamari12

and the Delonix Regia:

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Flambo11

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Flambo12

Comments welcome....

Anne

Anne

Back to top Go down

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Empty Very Nice!

Post  abasl Mon May 23, 2011 11:15 am

Hi there... I really like them! I am trying to train some delonix as well... they grow quite well and quickly. I havent had luck finding any tamarind seedlings so have planted a few seeds. Can you give me some tips on pruning the delonix? I may trunk chop one of my plants but am not sure how well it will back bud.

I will post some pictures when i can.

Abas

abasl

Back to top Go down

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Empty Royal poinciana (Delonix regia)

Post  Lazaro Quintino Tue May 24, 2011 12:45 am

Unfortunately Delonix do not make a good bonsai unless you are going to create a very large tree. This is because of their long twice-pinnate compound leaves. You will also never get them to flower unless once again you are creating a bonsai that is at least 6-7 ft. tall.
Lazaro Quintino
Lazaro Quintino

Back to top Go down

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Empty Re: Tamarindus and Delonix from seed

Post  Anne Wed May 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Abas, I wouldn't do a trunk chop too low down. The way I do it is prune all branches back, but leave one in tact, with leaves on. Once the shortened branches start budding, I shorten the one I left. You can see in my first picture that the pruned branches are sprouting and the one I left is still on the plant.

I am aware that Delonix Regia is not ideal for bonsai. My tree is now about 60 cm high (23 inch) and about 100 cm wide (43 inch). The tamarind is about 90 cm (35 inch). I'm happy with them as pot plants as they often are a topic of conversation.

Anne

Anne

Back to top Go down

Tamarindus and Delonix from seed Empty Tamarindus and Delonix from seed

Post  Ka Pabling Wed May 25, 2011 3:45 pm

I am aware that Delonix Regia is not ideal for bonsai. My tree is now about 60 cm high (23 inch) and about 100 cm wide (43 inch). The tamarind is about 90 cm (35 inch). I'm happy with them as pot plants as they often are a topic of conversation.

Anne

Hi Anne,
Your tamarind tree looks alright, if you say that it is now 7 years old, perhaps in a year or two it will bear fruit .am afraid Lazaro is right, delonix regia is not a good bonsai material.

regards
ka pabling
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Wed May 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Thank you, Ka Pabling, that is something to look forward to!

Anne

Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down