Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

old Ulmus Procera

+6
marcus watts
Khaimraj Seepersad
Rui Marques
moyogijohn
Tom
Billy M. Rhodes
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

old Ulmus Procera Empty old Ulmus Procera

Post  Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:38 pm

At Noelanders, did I buy an old hollow Ulmus Procera from "Kaizen".
I look a lot forward to work with the tree.
On the backside, would I like some surfaceroots.....Is it safe to make an layering ( ring the bark) just under the surface, and expect root to appear?.....the tree is ofcource healthy.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

old Ulmus Procera Empty old Ulmus Procera

Post  Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Hello Yvonne. English Elm are extremely easy to airlayer. I have layered some very large Ulmus and now is the time to do it. Complete ring of bark and at least 75mm wide.

Back to top Go down

old Ulmus Procera Empty Re: old Ulmus Procera

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:46 pm

If there is a photo, I didn't get it.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Billy

I did not post a photo, but will do now, I hope you like the tree.....the front of this photo, is not the front, I have now.

Hi Will

In Denmark has the trees not sprung yet, could you show a picture, or explain, when it is the best time for layering Very Happy ...I was happy to read it was easy, thanks.

Kind regards Yvonne

old Ulmus Procera Img_5810

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:04 am

Given that there are already some substantive surface roots there, I wonder if it would be better to try grafting some roots in the required area rather than air layering? I'm going to try something similar on an English elm in the next year or so.
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi Tom

You are right.....But maybe I am too much a mouse to try....I have tried a coupple of itmes to graft, without any succes..... But then again, it is on the backside, Maybe I schould pull my self together, and do a better and more serious job Smile .

In the meantime will I produce graftingmaterial during the next summers. And hopefully be able to show you all a nice old english tree in some years.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

old Ulmus Procera Empty old ulmus procera

Post  moyogijohn Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:32 pm

YVONNE ,,This is going to be a great tree!!! i sure would like to have one like that to work with..I LOVE ELMS...Good luck with this one..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Yvonne,

I've also purchased some material from Kaizen (larix topic) Good materials!
Have you done any work with this tree?

Regards.
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:19 am

Hi Rui

I can see I have become a part of your summerupdatetour Smile

And yes, there has been a lot of things changed on the tree....After last time did I take cuttings to prepare for grafting...but I have not used them...I have never tried this stunt, and was too chicken, I would want someone else to do a thing like that for me, the first time, while I am looking, insteadt of I ruin the tree.

old Ulmus Procera Img_0717

In the top is a red dot, under has a bud formed during this summer...here will the top future begin...the black line next to it, show were I will cut off the old top next year. Right under is a bud that will be left to grow, to even out the top....From soil surface to red dot is 31 cm.( actully can I see I marked the red dot too high...the bud is 1cm below.)( saw it as I just went to meassure the tree)

The tube has been opened, it was hollow, and selected branches has been grown...the lowest are ofcourse the fattest,

old Ulmus Procera Img_0718
Please enjoy the closeup of the hollow

old Ulmus Procera Img_0719

This is from the side with a look on the backside to the right....

As I was looking for roots on the backside last year, did I find none...all roots was in the front. I ended up, under big troubbles to make a layering, on all the backside, under the fat branch...this branch was let to grow absolutely free untill 1 month ago, when I cut it back, as it was about to be too strong for the tree.....were the red line is does the branch fork, and have many buds, they will maybe become a branch, the black line is were i will cut the branch...or I just cut off all the rest of the branch, as it is not needed in the design.

Under the strong branch has many new roots appeared last summer. And during this winter will I repot the tree, and have a look at, what I have....many small roots has grown from the surface of the frontroots...what I decide to do, will have to be an update.

All for now.
Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 am

Hi Yvonne,

Your Ulmus seems quite similar to the one that Harry Harrington worked.

Please take a peek:
http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATDeciduousBonsaiDesign.html

Best regards.

Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:24 pm

End of second season Smile

The tree is going to have a new top build up....Also will it be repottet for the first time before spring...I have a lovely Bryan Albright pot for the tree...just have to repot my olive first, as it still live in.
old Ulmus Procera Img_1324
The tree has branches on the backside, just not visible on the photo.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:31 pm

As I said before, lots of talent !!
Always a pleasure to look at. cheers
Thank you.

Can't wait for next year.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Many thanks Khamrai

Already next year?...could be Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:53 am

good morning,

really nice & natural appearance to the carved wood,
is there a drain hole carved or drilled into the hollow to let water out or are you using the collected water to continue rotting the hollow all the way to the soil level ?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 am

Hi Marcus

I have heavily preserved the wood with woodhardener....tried to leave the buttom free of it, but i ran dawn, and preserved the buttom too, my plan was to let it rot dawn by it self.so....
Now am I used to dry away the water with a little toiletpaper after rain....works OK, not really a problem.

When I repot the tree for the first time this winter, will I take a look of my options....should I drill, or not, from the buttom up...not possible from the inside...the tool will ruin the deadwood.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:58 am

Looking great! I'm so glad you didn't go the layering route as you considered in your original post. It's got a good base in my opinion and can only get better. I would kill to be able to get material like this from a nursery around here.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:26 am

old Ulmus Procera Img_4912

Waiting for spring...the new roots on the backside is doing very well.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 23, 2014 2:10 pm

last post was from 4th of april...this is from today...not a very long time has gone....
old Ulmus Procera Img_5418[/url]
I know there is a  english " leaf out", wonder if there also is a " Crown out"  Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 28, 2014 9:43 am

only 5 days later
old Ulmus Procera Img_5410
The Crown had become completely wild...I just defoliated the tree, and pruned back to shape.
Now am I waiting for second flush...It will be a nice day, when the pads finaly grow together and become on crown  Smile ...also do I want the apex  to grow in the direction of the first branch...look forward to the job.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Thu May 29, 2014 10:19 am

Its looking good, How tall is it? It looks ShoHin sized.....

I have an English Elm stump im developing into a ShoHin sumo style, Its a little brute Cool 
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 29, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Bobbylane

To the current highest tip, is the tree standing 39 cm tall...it could but cut back, and held in a Kifu-sice, but I want the crown nice and big, so it will with time end up as "big bonsai".

The procera is not really easy to turn into bonsai, the leaves is constant growing big and then turn ugly ( at least in my garden)...
I have 3 ulmus minor, they are compared to this tree, small angels to work with, the leaves turn really small very fast, and they are perfect for shohin....when this is said, would I ofcourse go for a sumo-shohin like you did, if i found a procera useful for this...look forward to see yours  Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Thu May 29, 2014 11:38 am

Wow, it really doesnt look that big. its gonna be a beast by the sounds of it! Ill try an upload a pic of mine later, I only got it about three weeks ago and pruned off some ugly bits. three weeks ago it had no leaves just lots of buds on a few branches, not many branches either, but they are in good positions like a half moon, came from a pot in a field.. now its going crazy Very Happy 
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Look forward to see your tree, it sound like a nice bit you have found  Smile .

Do it on a tread of its own, this will make it possible for us all to follow the tree in the future.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 02, 2015 11:00 am

The ramification continues

The ulmus have just ben pruned, and is ready for the growingseason
old Ulmus Procera Img_7811
Standing 35 cm tall...in the right side of the photo is two branches at the moment looking like one dense, it will change

old Ulmus Procera Img_7812
The new roots on the backside is doing well Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next