Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars

3 posters

Go down

For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars Empty For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Ravi,

as promised - the second one is the variegated.

Serissa Foetida - double flower - trunk never thickened - about 29 years old

For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars Seriss10

Varigated - just got last year and it grows rapidly - about 2' [ 61 cm ] tall
you can't see it but it is flowering.

For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars Varieg10

Just in case you missed this, please pass on to Mohan -
no need to comment just showing an idea.

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t5903-fired-talc-soapstone-pots-for-mohan-and-ravi-from-india-with-love

Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars Empty Re: For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Hey Khaimraj,

Thanks for the post. Its rather sad that if the trunk did not thicken in 29 years then I guess it never will. Considering this, Shohin would be the only option. I did have the double flowered one a couple of years ago and it didn't survive Sad The one whose pics I had posted recently in another post was what I was told was the most durable of the 5 sub-species of Serissa and hence I've restarted the adventure again. Hope this one survives.....

Thanks again....

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars Empty Re: For Ravi - Serissa - tree of one thousand stars

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Ravi,

I am looking at some form of grafting, to see if one can join the S.foetida to the Chinese type. That way maybe, just maybe I can get a trunk and those double flowers.
Until,
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I've gotta ask, Khaimraj, has it always been in a pot? Can't this go into the ground where you are?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Hello Kev,

long time no talk. There is a nursery near the capital, in the mountains [ hills to you] where they have them in the ground and they are used for cuttings. Same response, lots of suckers from the base /roots, but no thickening.

I tried in the early days, to do as much Bonsai training as I could, no go. So now I just leave the shrub [ height is supposed to be 18 " - 46 cm ] to do what it wishes, seems to be happier.

The Chinese type and this variegated are way more vigourous, and in a few years, I will be able to give you a trunk size on the variegated. The Chinese can reach 3 to 5" [ 7.5 to 12.5 cm ] I saw the 5 inch outside London, and have shown the 3 inch trunk myself.

Actually the Chinese type is satisfying enough to not worry about the S.foetida, and if the variegata, can grow a trunk, I am sure it will branch well, judging from the cuttings I have had to remove thus far.

I believe Suthin S.[ I can't spell his last name, nor do I wish to butcher it ] has a shohin, foetida or a cultivar with a large trunk. So maybe it's a climate situation?
Until.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down