Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Ravi - Serissa - part 1

4 posters

Go down

For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Empty For Ravi - Serissa - part 1

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Hey folks,

it's Serissa time. Here is a serissa and the plan I have for it. The black pot is what I grew the shrub in before I felt it was time to transfer over to a bonsai pot and continue refinement.

As usual clip and grow and placement is full sun.

I find it much faster to grow a small plant in a larger pot and then when it is time for the branchlets transfer to a bonsai pot [ which is often smaller.]
Plant has been thinned for showing.

The second tree taught me that for my side, the serissa prefers a shallow pot. The second image,a side view, is me starting to build in the back as the front was done.
Feel free to comment yay or nay.
Khaimraj

The tree -
For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Ravi_i10

The plan-
For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Ibc_se10

Second tree
For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Ibc_se11

Side view.
For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Ibc_se12

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Empty for ravi serrissa

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 pm

I like the first one Khaimraj.....the trunk and the branch placement are really good!!! you don,t find them much like this one here...good luck,,,take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Empty serissa part 1

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Thank you for the message....I should have known you hada seceret for that tree....the virtul looks good..i know you will make it work..show us when it starts to devolpe ok??? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Empty Re: For Ravi - Serissa - part 1

Post  Ravi Kiran Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:19 am

Hey Khaimraj,

Great trees both of them. I like the plan you have for the first tree... I am sure that the tree will get there even though it looks pretty good right now Smile

The second tree is good too. From the way you were sounding about Serissa species, I was wondering the kind of trees you had... but these are good ones.

Here is a question for anyone... What is the fattest girth one has seen of a Bonsai Serissa ????

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

For Ravi - Serissa - part 1 Empty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It's ROOT baby, yeah a ROOT, yeah baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 am

Ravi,

years ago, Jim L. spoke laughingly about Serissa as a really small shrub that became a bonsai. Well at that time, possibly back in 2001 or so, I had [ it is still there ] a cutting growing on my northern exposure patio, it had been there for a while. Measured it was 5 feet [152 cm] tall, but had multiple trunks. Either the Serissa came over from Italy [ 84 or so ] or from the US [ 80 ] with me, I am not sure.

However, I left other cuttings in the growing troughs and 87, lifted a 2 inch [ 5cm] wide trunk.

Returning to England in 96, I was pleasantly surprised to see 3 inch [ 7.5 cm ] + trunks.

Unfortunately it wasn't until about 2008, that I realised on my side, the Serissa in a pot prefers the pot to be shallow. Placement has always been full sun.

I will take a shot of the variegated to show you how fast and thickly it grows.

Once again, Serissa is not a tropical tree, it handles snow and winter outdoors, as far as New Jersey.

Ravi, the first tree was to help you out. Here's why ---------------------

The entire body of tree number one is a --------- ROOT ------- and I may have re-planted upside down.
Using the fact that the Serissa, when cut anywhere will sprout. I grew a cutting in very coarse soil and then harvested the root that I liked the best. Planted it and when the top resprouted, and when it was healthy just cut areas and the shrub did the rest.

There is no need to wire anything. Just clip and grow.

Later on in the year, I will test this on an Elm root, since an elm will also grow where nicked on a root.

So you can have motion without movement. Boy am I lazy ................

Hope this helps you produce faster Serissa bonsai.
Khaimraj

* I am presently also growing a chance straight cutting to see just how tall a Serissa will become.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi Khaimraj,

Thanks for the info update. Good to know that Serissa can grow to 2-3 inch girth in growing pots. Certainly news to me. Shall try and do the same... Thanks again Smile

I shall also look forward to the pic of the variegated serissa....

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Howdy Khaimraj,

How has the wintering in the refrigerator gone this winter? Another month or so to go?

I was glad to find your post on your Serissa's. You have great vision and sketch well on top of it so I love to read your explanations! I recently acquired a Serissa so your tips on caring for them and the designs you have implemented with your own trees should be quite helpful.

Thanks, Jesse
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:40 am

Hiya Jesse,

thought you had left.

I made a mess of last year's dormancy in the refrigerator. Took the trees out too soon and got hit with dry weather. This year I put them in 2 weeks earlier [ 2 months cold, as opposed to 6 weeks ] except for the Celtis africana, which didn't mind the dry weather shock, and grew very well.
I am also trying a Mrs. Iris Cohen suggestion, a small well rooted juniper cutting as well.[ Madam only just mentioned she was married and is upgraded in respect to Mrs. as opposed to Ms. chuckle.]

If you can, set a cutting and see if it can handle winter in an unheated garage. A friend has established that in zone 7 under snow, his serissas do well. However, you will have to probably allow the cutting to experience life outdoors from late spring [ no frost.]
Let the group know how it went.

I am trying to establish limits to certain exported plants from China for indoor growing, to see who is really Sub-tropical and Warm Temperate.
Any help would be appreciated.
Khaimraj

* I shall try to keep putting up the tree with it's drawing, since this is how I guide my self, too much for memory.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down