Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will

+2
Rob Kempinski
NeilDellinger
6 posters

Go down

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will Empty A few elms to share, as per requested by Will

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:32 am

As I pestered my friend Will yet again for advice, he politely suggested that he'd like to see a few trees posted. So, of course as a fellow elm enthusiast I could not decline. These are but a few of many in various stages of development. Most of these have been in development for 2-4 years.

Collected winged elm...this one has less pronounced "wings" but nice bark.
Before, 14 months ago:

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will Tripple%20trunk%202

This evening:
A few elms to share, as per requested by Will P1050261

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will P1050266

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will P1050264

A Big ugly one and a little fellow....I have been growing the new branches on this guy for about 1 year now. More carving needs to be done.

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will P1050291

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will P1050296

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will P1050300

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will P1050283

This is a cork elm I've worked on a year or two. Needs a new pot in a year and roots sorted out.

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will P1050288

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will Empty Re: A few elms to share, as per requested by Will

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 am

Your elms have character. I might tighten up the branches on the first one for ramification purposes.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will Empty Re: A few elms to share, as per requested by Will

Post  chappy56 Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:15 am

Lookin good Neil.
chappy56
chappy56

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 am

Neil, as Rob typed, character.
Could you show them again when they are in leaf?
Thanks for showing.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 am

Rob,
When you say "tighten" up, what do you mean? I think this year will be a good year for this tree as far as building ramification is concerned. There are many buds & I am planning to defoliate at least once as well as continued pinching.

Thanks Chris.

Khaimraj,
No problem posting later once in leaf.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:40 am

Hello Neil and thanks for posting. In only 4 years of development, I see no problem with the ramification. I think you are aiming for a larger canopy and thats where the ramification comes in. Great trees and quick development too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 pm

NeilDellinger wrote:Rob,
When you say "tighten" up, what do you mean?
Neil

By tighten up I mean anywhere there is a straight section of branch either prune it to a bud or wire it to make it wiggle. Some of the thicker branches are a bit straight so they could be bent or pruned.

Oops I based my comment on the first photo the after work looks good - that long low branch might need some attention.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Nice winged elms Neil.
I did not fare so well with my Winged Elms and Hackberrys collected at the "Tulsa sights", it is just a bit too cold here for them to survive more than two years under my overwintering conditions. I have one Elm which is doing very well now for about 6 years, about 3 feet tall, but it was the smallest one I brought home. The others just slowly died off branches down to the trunks, and then they went finally.

D.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

A few elms to share, as per requested by Will Empty A few elms to share

Post  moyogijohn Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Neil,,you have some very nice elms there!! i love elms they are my favorite tree..do you collect them all?? if not where can you find such trees if you don,t mind me asking...it has already been asked but please post them in leaf..really good job in styleing..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down