Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Huge Willow cutting

+4
prestontolbert
Joe Hatfield
Jim Doiron
Nils Arne Haagensen
8 posters

Go down

Huge Willow cutting Empty Huge Willow cutting

Post  Nils Arne Haagensen Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:05 am

Back in 2005 I cut of a big branch from a weeping willow tree. As you can see it's as thick as a mans arm. I stuck it in a bucket with water and after 2-3 days it started to shoot branches and roots!
Huge Willow cutting Org-cutting
This is after about one week in the bucket! After a short time I planted the cutting in the bucket using traditional bonsai soil. The cutting continued to shoot and grew happy for another year.
Huge Willow cutting Willow-front
In spring 2007 it repotted in a large mica pot. It needed some extra support because it had no big roots. It was planted in pure Leca 1-3 mm size. I have cut the branches back heavily every year and this is how it looked before styling and repotting.
Huge Willow cutting Roots
This is how the roots looks now after two years in pure Leca. Only fine feeder roots.
Huge Willow cutting Roots-in-pot
After a trim it fit perfect in its new pot. It's a Chinese pot.
Huge Willow cutting Willow-branches
This is how the branches look.
Huge Willow cutting Front-new
This is the front, but it could might as well be the back. Most of the branches was wired and brought down to get the weeping effect. It didn't cut them much. Over the years much of the bark has died of and there is now only two live vains on the tree so it needs a dead wood work.
Huge Willow cutting Bark-detail
Under and over the trunk the bark is gone but it is callousing over pretty fast.
Huge Willow cutting Front-new-2
The tree is obviously quite two dimensional so it is probably better viewed from a 30 degree angle. It is leafing out very fast and seams happy in its new pot. It is planted in pure Moler.
Substrate rules!

Nils Arne Haagensen

Back to top Go down

Huge Willow cutting Empty Re: Huge Willow cutting

Post  Jim Doiron Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 am

That looks great Nil, I'm excited to see it as I did the very same thing this spring after some wind storms took a bunch of trees down, including a number of willows in my father-in-law's yard. Hope I get mine looking close to yours in a few years.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Huge Willow cutting Empty Cool indeed

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:47 pm

I was surprised to see how well that took. Did you use any hormone for rooting?
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Hey Joe, my understanding was willows are made of rooting hormone and it seems to be true. I stuck my branches (3 in in dia) into sand and they all rooted without trouble.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:55 pm

I had a curly willow stump two feet in diameter that took 4 years to finally kill. Each time it sent up new branches I sprayed them with herbicide or broke them off. I even built a fire around the stump and burned it for several hours. The following spring it sent new shoots through the burned bark. I finally dug around it enough to get a chain around the roots and pulled it out with a tractor. Willows are tough to kill.
-PT
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Jim's quite right. You can use willow water as a substitute for rooting hormone. There are no easier cuttings to take.

Preston, I've also been trying for three years to kill a curly willow stump. I drilled and inserted mushroom spore impregnated dowels. It shrugged it off and is still throwing out new sprouts.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:52 am

WOW very cool to know. My Heather loves willows. I should dedicate some projects to her.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  jason strapec Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 pm

so let me get this straight...you cut from a live tree, and then placed it in a bucket with ONLY water? no soil or anything? and it grew roots from where you cut it off? is this a common technique for starting a bonsai? sorry...im new so i have lots of questions.

jason strapec

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:43 pm

You can do this. It's not the ideal way to do it for bonsai as it creates masses of fine white roots all over the part of the trunk that is submerged in water. Much better to place the large cutting on a raft with just the base of the cutting in water, so that roots only form where you want them. Alternatively do it the easy way and secure the branch over very damp compost and make sure it never dries out. It will root and grow.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jason strapec Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:45 pm

wow...that is amazing. thank you for the quick response Very Happy

jason strapec

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:06 pm

With a willow stump of this size, you can merely sharpen one end and pound it into the ground and it will root. There's neither art nor skill involved in rooting willow cuttings -- of any size. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanFrye Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:03 pm

Very Nice. Please post an update when it has leafed out! Very Happy
RyanFrye
RyanFrye

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:19 pm

In the 80s my mom got an armload of curly willow limbs and stuck them in the ground all around the property, hoping some would root. ALL rooted. My dad has been dealing with them since. They lose lots of limbs during the winter, and put down heaps of hard to rake leaves in the fall. If your area is susceptible to ice storms, I would be wary of growing any out in the ground. When you dig one out, the roots can sprout and keep growing.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down