Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A huge Pemphis....

+5
Rudi juliant
Robert Steven
Nigel Parke
Hoo
Jed Franco
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A huge Pemphis.... Empty A huge Pemphis....

Post  Jed Franco Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Good day, IBC Friends,

I just wanted to show you my huge pemphis under training....
One of my few collections and also happens to be one of my favorite bonsai...
This one measures approximately one meter in height and with a huge trunk... Smile
and this is it's progression.....

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc00910

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc00911

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc01213

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc01614

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc02011
...at present, and I think there are more work to be done....planning a bigger pot for this one....I think... Very Happy
Hope you all like it....

Regards,
Jed Franco
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

A huge Pemphis.... Empty Re: A huge Pemphis....

Post  Hoo Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 pm

Very nice looking plant you have there. Excellent movement and what a trunk. Wish these were common here in the northeast US. Maybe a seed will float on over.
Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Enjoy.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Nice Jed. Yes you need a bigger pot.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Parke Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Lovely specimen and with a very powerful trunk. Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Nigel
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:45 am

@ Hoo, thanks for the comment.....

@jun, thanks, bro, I will have to find a bigger pot for this one here in our area...

@Nigel, thanks for the commment....

Last edited by Jed Franco on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Very nice Jed...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:34 am

@Robert,

Thanks, wow...a compliment from a master....is such heart-warming...indeed..Very Happy

Regards,
Jed Franco
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudi juliant Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 am

verry good... like it
Rudi juliant
Rudi juliant

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 am

Rudi juliant wrote:verry good... like it

Rud, sekarang kita juga sudah punya forum seperti ini yang baru sof launching uji coba. Suda terima sms saya ? Harap partisipasi dan dikungannya... Salam FHI !
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudi juliant Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 am

oh ya... belum tahu saya pak. kirim linknya dong!
Rudi juliant
Rudi juliant

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 pm

@ Rudi juliant,
Thanks for liking....
Regards,
Jed Very Happy
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi, IBC friends,

I have found a new pot for this huge Bantigue (Phempis acidula), and finally repotted and trimmed it
I hope it won't stress it much... Neutral Rolling Eyes

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc02110

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc02111

Good day,
Jed Franco.....
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Jed,

How long have you tarined this Bantigi ? Can you post the close-up picture of the foliage, just wondering about the twigs...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 am

Hi, Robert,
This tree was hunted in the wild in 2006, and was taken cared of for 5 years, I bought
it New year of 2012, I cared for it for a year and wired it...Thanks...

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc02112

Best Regards,
Jed Franco

Last edited by Jed Franco on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:56 am

WATCHOUT Jed !
This is the most crucial stage for Pemphis..after 4-5 years when it looks "ready", because this is when it will start dropping if you don't maintain it well. This is always the main issue for Pemphis bonsai everywhere as many people don't know the "trick" of how to maintain.

Sorry, I am not trying to scare you, but the worse stage is when it looks like this...the leaves start getting less, the twigs look tiny and old, no new buds...

A huge Pemphis.... _mg_1310

And normally it starts to be too late when it's like this...

A huge Pemphis.... _mg_1311

A huge Pemphis.... _mg_1410

I took these pictures in Philippine last year as a common problem on your Pemphis and we discussed a lots about this.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:39 am

Robert,
Some of us learned a lot from you on Phempis and we thank you for that. Most of the Filipino (and some people from other country as well) who did not get your words and technique are still struggling with this problem, and as you know this species are the most expensive tropical material and lot of them turn out dead or started to lost its glorious form after 5 years.
I hope you can show and share more of the techniques you shared with us.

This is really a huge problem and rarely been addressed properly.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:21 am

@Robert,
Many thanks for reminding me and these things can happen to our Pemphis here. As you can see from the beginning of this thread,
this tree when I acquired it, it looks like exactly the same as the one you posted, but I cared for it and asked some of my acquaintances on their secrets in caring for this precious specie... I managed to make it survived and now it's doing fine...
Thanks, Master, I learned from your previous post also in caring for this tree, but I was not lucky enough to attend workshop
that you were in when you came to our country..I envy some friends that have been lucky to see your works and workshops.. Neutral

@jun
I repotted this one, Pre, hope it would pass your liking, hehehe..
Thanks again....

Best regards,
Jed Franco
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 am

Jed Franco wrote:@Robert,
Many thanks for reminding me and these things can happen to our Pemphis here. As you can see from the beginning of this thread,
this tree when I acquired it, it looks like exactly the same as the one you posted, but I cared for it and asked some of my acquaintances on their secrets in caring for this precious specie... I managed to make it survived and now it's doing fine...
Thanks, Master, I learned from your previous post also in caring for this tree, but I was not lucky enough to attend workshop
that you were in when you came to our country..I envy some friends that have been lucky to see your works and workshops.. Neutral

@jun
Thanks again....

Best regards,
Jed Franco

That's great Jed. Good luck ! Very Happy You should share your experiences as Jun said...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jed Franco Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks, Master...
I would gladly share my experiences with our friends here...

Good Day... Smile
Jed Franco
Jed Franco

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Robert Steven wrote:

@jun
Thanks again....

Best regards,
Jed Franco

That's great Jed. Good luck ! Very Happy You should share your experiences as Jun said...

Sometimes, I find you to be quite funny Robert! hehehe scratch

I think I should open up a new thread and I would ask the same question/help from you. I am doing some Phempis reconstruction myself.

regards,
jun Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:42 pm

[quote="Jed Franco"

A huge Pemphis.... Dsc02112

[/quote]

Hi Jed,

I asked Robert, because this type of twigs you got there is wrong and would eventually lead to early death of your Phempis. Lots of the early collectors of Phempis acidula that came before us got the same recurring problem and Robert pointed out the mistake when he visited here.

...but I would like also to hear the side of those who taught you the reason behind the "topiary" of twigs and foliage.

I got a theory behind this styling style. It is quite wider in scope and not only happening to phempis but to almost all species of tree bonsai as well in other countries. But for now I will keep it to myself...some people might find it offensive. but it is also happening in other countries as well, I am afraid.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Robert Steven wrote:WATCHOUT Jed !
This is the most crucial stage for Pemphis..after 4-5 years when it looks "ready", because this is when it will start dropping if you don't maintain it well. This is always the main issue for Pemphis bonsai everywhere as many people don't know the "trick" of how to maintain.

Sorry, I am not trying to scare you, but the worse stage is when it looks like this...the leaves start getting less, the twigs look tiny and old, no new buds...

A huge Pemphis.... _mg_1310

And normally it starts to be too late when it's like this...

A huge Pemphis.... _mg_1311

A huge Pemphis.... _mg_1410

I took these pictures in Philippine last year as a common problem on your Pemphis and we discussed a lots about this.

Hi Robert,

interesting pictures. I don't grow Pemphis here. However, what is that basic concept to avoid this from happening? Outgrow, then clip out the centers? Clip out the centers first, then clip the side shoots? No clipping? Less outgrow? Keeping the apical area of the branch(lets) weak to feed the subbranches behind? Wink

Nice tree, Jed Franco!

Thanks,
Dorothy

dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 pm

jun wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:

@jun
Thanks again....

Best regards,
Jed Franco

Sometimes, I find you to be quite funny Robert! hehehe scratch

I think I should open up a new thread and I would ask the same question/help from you. I am doing some Phempis reconstruction myself.

regards,
jun Wink

Jun, this is an ethical matter. But if you post it as a new thread then I can talk because my honest answer can be offensive as you said later..including the answer to Dorothy's question... Laughing
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Soda, popcorn.. Basketball

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:Soda, popcorn.. Basketball

-Dorothy

No Dorothy, this make you fat..I like your shape.. bounce

Last edited by Robert Steven on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistyping)
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next