Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk

3 posters

Go down

CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk Empty CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 am

I shared this tree with you last year but I wanted to share some history and an update.
This little Cotoneaster is my “Neo” - the One that changed my outlook to bonsai and got me into plenty of hot water!!

Originally dug up as a small sapling from my garden I never really had much hope for it but it was a bit cute so I kept it. It was at a showing at our local Club’s Tree of the Month table that this tree caused me to take a second look at Bonsai. I did know much about Shohin, although I had lots of material that sort of size, so I went on a personal mission to find out more. Through the excellent website of Morten Albek I learnt so much and that was my “Eureka” moment – Shohin was the size for me. At this point CKOne, along with Stone Monkey, nudged me towards the BSA and that’s where the trouble began. Andy firstly convinced me that it was a good little tree by supplying me with this virtual based and the sort of pot I thought it needed. Heart in mouth I asked if I could bring the tree along to Show the following year and was gobsmacked to be told yes.

CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk Si_twi10

Being the lucky chap that I am I commissioned Andy to make a pot for me installing “my vision” for the tree. With time running out and the final pot ready I headed to Stone Monkey Towers for a fitting. Disaster – it just didn’t work!!

CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk 11022010

Panic now descended upon me but Andy, once again, proved to be my hero of the day by lending me a very fine pot by Elsebeth Ludvigsen from his ceramics collection. Agreed, it was not the right colour but the size & shape were perfect.

CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk 11022011

So how come I’ve branded this tree standing now more than 3½” in height the Troublesome Twin Trunk? Well, it’s got me to where I am now – addicted to Shohin, travelling great distances to attend Shows and getting involved with, and meeting, some real dedicated Bonsai people. Sounds good but trying to juggle my passion and my family has now become a bit of an art form although I wouldn’t change it for the world!!

I will update this story later when I get the camera back off of Mrs Wife!!
Ook, Ook,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk Empty Re: CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk

Post  JimLewis Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:13 pm

The only problem with your little tree is that its top isn't developed yet. That just take a growing season with these guys.

You should do this out of a bonsai pot and in a standard small nursery pot. Feed it heavily, then let it grow for a summer, occasionally snipping the ends of the new growth to promote some budding deeper in the plant. When the top is full, carefully cut it back to the 3 1/2 in height, and see if it isn't more like the virt.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk Empty troublesome twin trunk

Post  moyogijohn Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:38 pm

What a very nice little tree!!! only my opion but i like the purple pot..the foliage and the pot really go togather..good work!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk Empty Re: CK One – the Troublesome Twin Trunk

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down