Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tropical Pine Research

2 posters

Go down

Tropical Pine Research Empty Tropical Pine Research

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Kev, Jim, Fiona, not sure where to put this, please feel free to shift to Bonsai Questions or other.
Thank you.

Yes, folks, there are Tropical Pines, on both sides of the Indies [ west and east ]
This one is grown locally in plantations for hardwood lumber. Something like 5 feet [153 cm] a year.
Will handle clay soils when on a hill top or hill side, as long as the water drains away, but prefers sand type soils. Lifespan, not sure as it is harvested as soon as the trunk size is good for lumber.
Rainfall 80 to 100 inches yearly.

A three needle pine and the needles can be somewhat long and graceful. They will reduce with care.

Here is my first real attempt and first failure. I have another two in the works but with a different approach. I used the information on 2 needle pines but that doesn't seem to be the best way.
Soil was 70 to 50 % crushed and sifted silca based sand and compost.

I have this listed as Pinus carribbae. Easily grown from seed and in a large 3 gal pot will reach over 5 inches [ 12.5 cm ] in trunk size. Excellent surface radial root distribution.
Khaimraj

First image - 1987 - 4 or 5 years old - height 13.5 inches [ 35 cm ] my remarks on the photo are - immature bark and wild foliage.

Second image - 1989 - height 15 inches [ 38 inches ] trunk 1.1 inch [ 3 cm ?] width 12 inches [ 30.5 cm] - soil now has pine leaf compost and some peat moss. Bark cracking.

Third image - 1991 - trunk at more than 1.5 inches [ 4 cm ] and height around 18 inches [45+ cm ] to the brown parts of the top.

Died [ faded slowly ] after 1995.

I started over. Later, the new tests.

Note, I was and am testing the developing of branchlets, since a fat trunk can have a graft done and restarted for the 1,2,3 of branching.

I hope others may use this information to try their hands on other Tropical Pines.

Tropical Pine Research Tropic11

What I was trying for.

Tropical Pine Research Tropic12

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Tropical Pine Research Empty Re: Tropical Pine Research

Post  JimLewis Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Here's some info on the tree: http://www.conifers.org/pi/pin/caribaea.htm

I'd guess that it is closely related to the slash pine, P. elliottii, whch also grows throughout he Caribbean.

You are likely to find that the needles will not reduce significantly. That is true for Pinus elliottii. I have seen some slash pine bonsai in a weeping style which were very unusual, and quite effective.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Much thanks Jim,

sadly P. elliottii, dies in our soil and the only living specimen I have seen is in a local forestry nursery and it was very unhappy. If I got 10 mm needles I would be content.

My seed comes the kindly forestry officers by the way.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:26 pm

The latest victims.
About 5 years and 3 years old.

And a reminder of the pine that inspired it all - Japanese Black Pine and just for fun a Bonsai at Monastery pot with wild begonia, and if you see this Jun ---- me being impatient, a handbuilt by coil pot pulled out of the test kiln when tooooo hot. ha ha

The vitreous eartheware pot is entirely broken, and crazy glued.[ just showing off a bit with the vitreous part ]
Khaimraj

* Look Jun he used wires - shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hee hee hee.

Tropical Pine Research Pine10

Tropical Pine Research Pine_110

Tropical Pine Research Pine_210
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:55 pm

shhhh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content