Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues.....

+2
bonsai monkey
Harleyrider
6 posters

Go down

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... Empty In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues.....

Post  Harleyrider Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Having suffered the mood swings and energy loss of 'the week after the weekend before', Tony and I went on a little collecting trip today. Actually, it was as much an excuse to get out into the wilderness as anything else, but if you happen to spot an interesting little tree, well.....

I need to sift through the pictures yet to disguise any that give away our location, but I just had to show you this Hawthorn I found about 20 yds from where we parked. It was just sat there, bold as brass on the roadside verge about 6 ft back and 10 ft up. And this after a perilous trudge across the face of some very sheer slopes covered in scree where we found virtually nothing worthy of collection.

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... 100_1412
In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... 100_1413
In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... 100_1414

As you can see from his face, Tony was not best pleased that I got to this one before him! Dance
You won't believe the nebari, bark and movement, or the amount of fine root we got (the black bag is stuffed full of them!). I'll post more pics this week after it's potted.

Here's another one I found. As you can see, plenty of roots with this one, and the trunk has rooted itself at the point where it turns upwards (below the dirty mark on the trunk).

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... 100_1401
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... Empty Re: In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues.....

Post  bonsai monkey Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Super way to beat the Burrs Blues Steve, you lucky, lucky boy!!

2 fabulous looking trees you have there my friend, and a great (if sulking) collecting buddy.
Keep well mate,
Regards,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... Empty Re: In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues.....

Post  Harleyrider Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:27 pm

I actually got 3 trees today (against Tony's none!). The third is a little shohin Hawthorn that I didn't get a picture of because I was too bust trying to stop myself scree-surfing whilst balancing a rucksack on my back. I'll post pics later this week.

And you're right Simon, Tony is a brilliant collecting partner. Not only does he have the eyes of an eagle, but he's remarkably fit and agile for an old geezer! And his anecdotes help the long drives fly by.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Harleyrider wrote:The third is a little shohin Hawthorn

You know how to kick a man when he's down Steve.
Joking aside mate, I can't wait to see the pics,
Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:10 pm

No reason why you should be down, matey. Having seen your pics of 'Burrsesque 1' I can see you've got a nice collection of your own!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:35 pm

GIT Evil or Very Mad
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... Empty The post Burrs blues collection

Post  moyogijohn Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Those are some really nice trees!!!! I just don,t know how you keep them alive thru winter...i have seen pictures of your winters....well i know that you know how it is done and they will be great trees when worked by you both....lucky lucky,,,,,john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:33 pm

@ Andy. Now that's not very gentlemanly, is it? You arse!

@ moyogijohn. Yes, our winter's do tend to be a little on the harsh side. In fact, last year I lost every tree I had collected due to the severe and lengthy frosts we had. This year, however, I'm putting them in my friend's greenhouse, all wrapped up in bubble wrap. Then it's fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Harleyrider wrote:And you're right Simon, Tony is a brilliant collecting partner. Not only does he have the eyes of an eagle, but he's remarkably fit and agile for an old geezer!

Ah wait a minute - I resemble that - Tony and I are the same age! Rolling Eyes Mad
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Erm.....ah. Erm....Oh look! *points behind Rob whilst making a dash for the door*
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:08 am

Rob Kempinski wrote:
Harleyrider wrote:And you're right Simon, Tony is a brilliant collecting partner. Not only does he have the eyes of an eagle, but he's remarkably fit and agile for an old geezer!

Ah wait a minute - I resemble that - Tony and I are the same age! Rolling Eyes Mad
Ah but Rob, you must be the sleeker lined, supercharged model from the same year. You are the Ferrari Monza to his Hillman Minx.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:26 am

Cummon guys a character assassination so early on a Sunday morning Suspect

still looking good though.

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... 21_08_2---Hillman-Minx-OSK818_web

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:38 am

I was going to add that the Hillman Minx was solid, dependable and built to last.

I myself was of course a 1959 Peerless.

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... Peerle10

Although, when comparing us, I would have to say that you appear to have much nicer bumpers.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 am

bonsai monkey wrote: and a great (if sulking) collecting buddy.

Simon... have you seen the yamadori I have in my garden? Sulk... me?... OK so maybe the bottom lip did stick out a wee bit when we collected the big one...

Steve no mention here of Deja vu?

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Deja vu?........I've heard that somewhere before.....

Fiona, that's a magnificent set of headlights you're sporting there!

Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 pm

Very dazzling when on full beam.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:40 pm

fiona wrote:Very dazzling when on full beam.

Surely it's more dipped beam these days.

Back to top Go down

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... Empty Some amazing trees to behold

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:11 pm

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... Loneso10

The dangerous brothers

In an attempt to ease the post Burrs blues..... Tony-a11

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 pm

@ Will. You're a braver man than I, Gungha Din!

@ Tony. How come your photographer knew why we'd stood in that particular spot, and mine didn't? Couldn't possibly be something to do with the fact that your's wasn't a woman, could it? Surely not.

@ Will. On reflection, after my last comment, perhaps not!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:50 pm

will baddeley wrote:
fiona wrote:Very dazzling when on full beam.

Surely it's more dipped beam these days.

See Harleyrider's comment. Then, run like .....

And for the record, it's all to do with ensuring you have the correct alignment. Which I have.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:39 pm

tony wrote:
bonsai monkey wrote: and a great (if sulking) collecting buddy.

Simon... have you seen the yamadori I have in my garden? Sulk... me?...

Yes I have. Sorry Tony, I should have know better.
Nice little Yamadori Padawan you have there mate Wink

Regards,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:53 pm

bonsai monkey wrote:Nice little Yamadori Padawan you have there mate Wink

He is learning... may the force be with you too!

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Umm, cheeky this southerner is. Slap him upside the head I must.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down