Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mini-grinder Carving Tools

5 posters

Go down

Mini-grinder Carving Tools Empty Mini-grinder Carving Tools

Post  RandiH Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm considering adding a min-grinder to my tool collection and checking out similarities & differences between Arbortech's mini-grinder and King Arthur's Merlin (Proxxon.) While the Merlin looks to be a better fit for my hands, the smooth action of wood removal by Arbortech seems to be winning me over. I tried to locate comparisons - pros & cons - of the tools on the web but not having much luck.

For those of ya'll with experience with these tools I'm very interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,

Randi

New Kent
Va zone 7b

RandiH

Back to top Go down

Mini-grinder Carving Tools Empty Re: Mini-grinder Carving Tools

Post  Dale Cochoy Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:48 pm

You are not really compairing apples to apples. The Proxon is a Dremel-like powered tool which is great for smaller jobs and shohin. The Arbortech mini-grinder has the power of a right-angle grinder behind it. Serious.
Kinda like compairing a Dremel to a Die Grinder.
BTW, You might want to look at the 'Samurai' attachment made especially for the mini-grinder

Dale

Mini-grinder Carving Tools Samura13

Mini-grinder Carving Tools Samura14

Mini-grinder Carving Tools Samura15
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  gatesai Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:58 pm

The Merlin is purpose built for a range of different carving. From large cutting (chainsaw) to smaller details. The dremel is certainly best for the tiniest details. Makita also makes a die grinder with attachements that is a close comparision to the Merlin.

Determine the type of work you want/need to do first. Then match to proper tool.

gatesai

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:24 am

As per Dale's recommendation, the Samurai turns the Arbortech into a real charger, cutting through hard dead wood like butter. And yes, it's apples and oranges. 100 watts for the Proxxon and 710 for the Arbortech.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Mini-grinder Carving Tools Empty mini grinder carving tools

Post  john5555leonard Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:28 am

hi, i think you would be better buying a dremel and a makita die grinder because all the carving bits available will fit one of these units. including the samurai. check out kaizen bonsai. i,v had proxon and arbortec but never use now . regards john .

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Mini-grinder Carving Tools Empty mini grinder carving tools

Post  Guest Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:53 am

I agree with John. I also have the Proxxon but don't use it very often at all. My main stay, are the Makita and Dremmel.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:27 pm

I agree with John also,( Except for the Kaizen part) BUT, that wasn't the question asked!! Very Happy

You just can't go wrong with a die grinder and a Dremel-type and a bunch of carvers to go with each.
If you start looking at Die Grinders I sell Both Makita and DeWalt and highly recommend the models with the 'Dead Man' switches. DeWalt and Makita each make one and the safety of them is preffered by me over the models with a simple sliding on/off switch.

I sell Everything mentioned here BTW.

Dale

P.S. I just realized....this must be Randi Sharp!!??
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down