Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN.

+5
Todd Ellis
Milan Karpíšek
Viriato Oliveira
MACH5
Hans van Meer.
9 posters

Go down

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. Empty A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN.

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi everybody,
I bought this Urban Yamadori a year ago at my friend Teunis Jan Klein's place "Deshima". This sweet little plant and 3 others that I bought that day, were selvaged growing around a 50 year old train station that was about to be demolished. I fell for the thickness and movement of that short trunk that was hidden underneath all that young foliage. This is how she looked when I bought her on 5-9-2009:

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 5-9-2010

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 5-9-2011

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 5-9-2012

Above: As you can see in these pictures, the plastic container was broken, so that same day, I replaced it with a similar sized one of my own.

Below: 28-1-2010. I had a good day recovering from my back operation, so I felt like doing something! And this little Berberis thunbergii was not too big to handle, but challenging enough to keep me busy! Smile

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 28-1-210

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 28-1-211

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 28-1-212

Below: After its first styling. In this picture you can see that I left two posible cascading branches on the tree. I wanted to get more used to this little trees new image, before I finally would decide which one to save and use in my design. A few days later I looked at the tree again and than I knew for sure, so I removed the top/back branch. I liked the future of the bottom/front branch that I saved better. And removing the frond/bottom branch, would have ment, that I would be left with a large scar, smack in your face! So the choice was not that difficult after all. But there is no sense in rushing these things!

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 28-1-213

Below: 19-9-2010. And this is, after a few little more wires were applied, how she looks today after just one year in my garden. Amazing how quick this species grows!

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 19-9-210

Below: For size!

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. 19-9-211

I cant wait to plant it in a nice blueish/greenish cascade pot. I think that color would look beautiful with the yellow flowers and later on with the dark green/purple red foliage and red berries! I hope you enjoyed this little story?!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Last edited by Hans van Meer. on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. Empty Re: A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN.

Post  MACH5 Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:24 pm

That is sweet Hans. From a bush to an ancient, little tree hanging from a cliff in a year's time! Thanks for sharing ThumbsUp
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. Empty Re: A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN.

Post  Viriato Oliveira Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi Hans

great story you had...and tree!!! Laughing

can´t wait see the tree repoted.

Congratulations

Viriato Oliveira
Viriato Oliveira
Viriato Oliveira

Back to top Go down

Post  Milan Karpíšek Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Really nice work, Hans. You have intersting tree
Milan Karpíšek
Milan Karpíšek

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Lovely Hans!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. Empty A YEAR IN THE LIVE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN.

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:34 am

A very good tree Hans and would look very good in the Stone Monkey pot I bought for the Cotoneaster. Unfortunately for you, It's mine.... All mine. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:11 am

Hans,
beautiful!...a more feminine looking tree. cascading yet gentle looking tree.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukas Sirotny Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Very nice step ahead in just one year! This species is very fast grower, but I noticed that the variety with permanently red leaves is not very suitable for bonsai, because it is very unpredictable and after each winter there is a heavy dieback of branches, or at least in our zone (Czech Rep.). But this is not the case of this green leaf variety which grows perfectly, I have also started one nice berberis this spring and it sprouted 3 or 4 times during one growing season.
Nicely done, Hans, keep reporting its progress! ThumbsUp
Lukas Sirotny
Lukas Sirotny

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:17 pm

Hans, great start to this little one.
How about a rugged shell pot to complement the bark texture.

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A NEW BERBERIS SHOHIN. Erin_510

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:48 am

Top drawer, Hans...

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 am

I am new to IBC, and look very much forward to many visits in the future.

Dear Hans, What a lucky find.... and very nice work too, look forward to see it in a pot.
Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 am

Good work, Hans!
Lukas Sirotny wrote: ... ... This species is very fast grower, ... ...
Yes, indeed!

And now, dear Hans and everybody, this is me and my question as as beginner.... Embarassed

I have bought a b.t. last October. I repotted her into a training pot and hoped that next spring (2010 I mean) will bud where I would like, but of course she did it where she liked to... Twisted Evil
And I have also found out that she is a strong apical grower, too. I did let her grow unrestricted for reasons of growing better trunk, but at some moment I had to prune back the loooooong shoots trying to reach the ceiling, in hope that she would back bud lower...., but again I was strongly disappointed.

Is there something I am missing????
Any advice, please???
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down