Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

getting permission to collect.

5 posters

Go down

getting permission to collect.  Empty getting permission to collect.

Post  luc tran Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Hey guys,

I was driving from Houston to Austin Texas on 290 and I saw a lot of cedar elms trees growing near the barb wire fence line. As I was driving by, I glanced over and they seems like they have potential to be great materials. But how do you go about getting permission? For the most part, I know they are farm lands that are privately owned. There are no houses on these lands, I think they are there just for cow grazing or for other purposes. But I dont think there are anyone that lives on the land. How do you guys go about to get permission to collect? Most of these trees are on the side of the wire towards the highway. So they are not within the fence line. I dont know if that makes a difference.

Thank you,
Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

getting permission to collect.  Empty Re: getting permission to collect.

Post  Mike Jones Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Luc

Firstly, fair-play to you for doing this the right way and asking for advice.

Secondly...someone will own the land, if the potential material is really really worth it then you should go all out to establish who precisely the land owner is...it will be someone. Explain what you have in mind and that you will re-plant a sapling sized material in the place of whatever you are given permission to take then it is onwards and upwards with some element of crossed fingers for the next growing season.

All the best

Mke
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:32 am

G'Day Luc...

First, let me echo Mike's feelings...good on ya for asking...

Now, you said that most of what you are seeing is outside of the fence...generally, a fenceline is used as a marker to seperate two properties.

I assume that 290 is a Texas State Highway, and again, generally, that would mean that the Texas Division of Highways (or whatever it's called in Texas) would be the property owner.

Whomsoever you get permission from, be sure to get it in writing...

Hope this makes sense.

Pat...mounted on my trusted steed, riding off wildly in all directions...
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Trees right against the outside of the fence probably will be on private property, since you don't (or shouldn't) build a fence right on the property line.

In the USA, the county tax assessor's office will have maps that list all property owners.

Thanks for asking . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 pm

I recently took Mr Tickle to view a mahoosive Fuschia that was obscuring the view from a neighbours window. It really was a monster, you can ask him yourself. A 'permission gaining' strategy was drawn up and put into effect the very next day.
Despite my best efforts the owner was adamant he didn't want to part with the tree. "Oh well," says I, "y'can't win 'em all."
Imagine my dismay when about a month ago I passed the spot where said bush used to live and saw that he had dug it up and replaced it with a raggy-arsed Begonia. Hoping beyond hope that the stump at least would still be in the vicinity I knocked on the door. "Oh no," says he, "I took it to the tip yesterday. the roots were interfering with my gas pipes."

"Bastardo" says I.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:14 am

Hey Jim,

If asked, would the county tax office give out the property's owner's phone #?

Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down