Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How would you go about getting permission for this?

+5
JimLewis
Stan Kengai
Jack Carrack
Jim Doiron
PeacefulAres
9 posters

Go down

How would you go about getting permission for this? Empty How would you go about getting permission for this?

Post  PeacefulAres Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:39 am

Around my neighborhood, their are large undeveloped areas. I noticed that one of these lots had a for sale by owner sign set out, and many of the large trees were marked, as if they were going to be cut down. Id like to the see if I could possibly collect some of the smaller trees before the place is flattened. However, I'm not really sure how to go about doing this, short of calling the phone number on the sign, and asking them if I can do just that.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

How would you go about getting permission for this? Empty Re: How would you go about getting permission for this?

Post  Jim Doiron Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:06 am

I would saying calling the number would be your best and quickest way to an answer.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

How would you go about getting permission for this? Empty Re: How would you go about getting permission for this?

Post  Jack Carrack Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:42 am

What's wrong with just calling the number? Seems like a perfectly fine way to go about getting permission.

Jack Carrack

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Jack Carrack wrote:What's wrong with just calling the number? Seems like a perfectly fine way to go about getting permission.
I was just wondering if there is anything else people usually do in this situation.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan Kengai Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Calling the number on the sign will usually get you in touch with a real estate agent, who is typically only looking to make money on the sale and could care less about anything else. Every county in every state here in the US is required to keep public records on all property transactions, and they usually have an index of who owns every single parcel of land in the county. Here in GA, the easiest way to find out who owns property is to check with the "tax assessor's" office. Most counties have these records on-line, although some smaller rural municipalities may not. By contacting the owner directly, you stand a much better chance in obtaining permission, even if the owner is a corporation.

Stan Kengai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:55 pm

one of these lots had a for sale by owner
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 pm

PeacefulAres,

Call the agent and explain what you want to do. Explain that you will sign a release form which protects the landowner and any or their representatives from harm. Explain that you will fill in any holes and be prepared to spread some mulch in the area to make it look nicer. You will also explain that you will haul away debris (i.e. branches trunks, roots etc).
Your collecting kit should include this form letter which releases the landowner and any agents, from any liability from harm if you should hurt yourself on the property.
Your kit should also contain bags or buckets of soil and mulch to fill in holes properly.

I have done this on commercial and private properties with good results. Most landowners, if they don't know you, are fearful of lawsuits. The form letter and your explanation can ease their mind.

Also, are there other landowners around which you can identify? They might be able to tell you who owns the property. I agree with the others for expediting this project; call the number on the sign first.

Good luck!

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:21 am

Todd Ellis wrote:PeacefulAres,

Call the agent and explain what you want to do. Explain that you will sign a release form which protects the landowner and any or their representatives from harm. Explain that you will fill in any holes and be prepared to spread some mulch in the area to make it look nicer. You will also explain that you will haul away debris (i.e. branches trunks, roots etc).
Your collecting kit should include this form letter which releases the landowner and any agents, from any liability from harm if you should hurt yourself on the property.
Your kit should also contain bags or buckets of soil and mulch to fill in holes properly.

I have done this on commercial and private properties with good results. Most landowners, if they don't know you, are fearful of lawsuits. The form letter and your explanation can ease their mind.

Also, are there other landowners around which you can identify? They might be able to tell you who owns the property. I agree with the others for expediting this project; call the number on the sign first.

Good luck!

Thanks

Unfortunately, the property is pretty far from my house. I'm not really familiar with the people living in that area. I supposed I could talk to them if all else failed though.

Would you mind going into a bit more detail about the release form and letter?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:21 am

Alright, I have a bit of an update. Unfortunately, I was a bit too chicken with getting permission to dig up the trees on the property I was talking about.

On the other hand, I've hit a bit of a windfall. It turns out that a family friend has a bunch of property(several dozen lots) and I've gotten permission to remove some trees. Hopefully I'll be be able to go collect in the very near future.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

How would you go about getting permission for this? Empty Heh.

Post  I Cut too much Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 am

I'm a big fan of the oldest trick in the book. If someone approaches you while digging, simply say "hey! Look at that over there!" And then run. Away. Fast.

I Cut too much

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 am

My trick is...well, you should think of some common name in your country...for example ..John, then, when/if somebody approaches you while you are collecting you just say affraid ..."John has told me that there's no problem to dig this stump" "Which John?" ...and you say .."I dont know...John... the man was here and I asked him is it ok to collect here, and he said...sure...just go on"
And if it turnes out to be a problem pale ...you just pack your stuff and apologize and go away Just say..."Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't know, that was a misunderstanding"
The best chance is nobody will come Very Happy

or maybe...you just call that number...
Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 am

Sebastijan Sandev wrote:
or maybe...you just call that number...

Personally I would go that direction. Not only because you might get caught/fined/... etc but also from a moral perspective. Just digging out trees is nothing more or less than stealing. And if we all just started to dig up what we wanted for ourselves, there would soon be little left of nice areas. Asking is easy; Explain why you want the plant. Offer to bring a your plant with you if they'd like. And if they say no.. Accept it. Very Happy
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down