Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )?

+5
Joe Hatfield
Billy M. Rhodes
John Quinn
Will Heath
huibengg
9 posters

Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )?

Post  huibengg Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:47 am

First I would like to introduce myself as a bonsai hobbyist. I have just bought a bonsai plant (pine) which I could not find any information on the internet. Could anyone help to identify it for me & provide me with information on care and watering info for this plant?
Here are some photos to help anyone who are willing to help me. By the way I got this plant from the mobile China bonsai seller in our country, Malaysia.

Thanks.[img][/img]Limber Pine (Pinus flexilis)[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f80/13/70/76/64/a16.jpg[[url=https://servimg.com/view/13707664/19][img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f80/13/70/76/64/b15.j[url=https://servimg.com/view/13707664/20]What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? C13pg[/img][/url]/img][/url]

Last edited by huibengg on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : posting image)

huibengg

Back to top Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty Re: What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )?

Post  Will Heath Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:56 am

That is a Invisible Pine (Pinus nonexistent).

They are hard to find.... Wink

Will
Will Heath
Will Heath

Back to top Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty Re: What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )?

Post  John Quinn Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:46 pm

John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty Tree ID

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:48 pm

This is probably not a pine since pines without needles are usually dead.

More likely given the location it is a type of Ficus from which the leaves have been removed.

Although the trees look fairly mature they could be recently rooted cuttings from a larger tree.

We really need to see a photo of the trees with leaves.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty PICS more please

Post  Joe Hatfield Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm not so sure its a pine from what I'm seeing so far. You are going to have to find a bigger version of what you have here or let the leaves come out for anyone to figure it out. I almost wanna tag it a type of Hazel.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:46 pm

From the lenticules on the bark, I'd guess, birch, beech, or something in the Prunus family -- in descending order of probability.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty Tree ID

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:57 pm

huibengg wrote:By the way I got this plant from the mobile China bonsai seller in our country, Malaysia.[img][/img]Limber Pine (Pinus flexilis)[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f80/13/70/76/64/a16.jpg[[url=https://servimg.com/view/13707664/19][img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f80/13/70/76/64/b15.j[url=https://servimg.com/view/13707664/20]What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? C13pg[/img][/url]/img][/url]

Jim

How common would any of these species be in Malaysia?

Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:27 pm

Probably not much less common than Pinus flexilis. <g> But if it IS a tropical, then I wouldn't have the froggiest notion.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty Re: New pics of the plant.

Post  huibengg Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:35 pm

First I must say my apology for not being able to post a few photos together. Well, here I am trying again on two more of the close-up photos.

Thank you.
What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? A17
Regards,

huibenggWhat's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? B16

huibengg

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:07 pm

It looks like a species of larch (Larix sp.).

You will find info here :

Wikipedia : Larix

It might be a Larix speciosa if it comes from China.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:33 am

AlainK wrote:It looks like a species of larch (Larix sp.).

You will find info here :

Wikipedia : Larix

It might be a Larix speciosa if it comes from China.

This is most definitely Larch but I have never seen a Larch with a trunk/bark configuration like this one assuming we are talking about the same tree in both pictures.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:53 pm

Vance Wood wrote:
AlainK wrote:.

This is most definitely Larch but I have never seen a Larch with a trunk/bark configuration like this one assuming we are talking about the same tree in both pictures.

We don't have many Larch in Central Florida but I agree that the emerging needles look like what I have seen on Larch, but the phtot of the multi tree planting don't look like the Larch I have seen.

I don't know a lot about Malaysia but I don't think they have many decidious trees and I would be concerned that a decidious species would get enough cold to be happy for long.

Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty Re : Thanks everybody for the informations.

Post  huibengg Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks everybody for the help to identify my plant. I guess after some search on the net with all your help I have also come to the conclusion that it's a larch & is a coniferous plant.

Well, I also don't see many of this type of plant in Malaysia & anywhere I bought it from those bonsai seller from China.

Thanks everybody.

huibengg

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Larch need very cold winters and a LONG dormancy. I'm in zone 7, and they don't do well here. Zone 6 is ok and zones 5 and 4 they'll thrive.

You're in zone 11 or higher. I can't imagine that they'll survive if they are a larch.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Not all Larches Jim, I'm in Zone 9 and Larix decidua and Larix kaempferi thrive here. I've probably got 50 or 60 trees. The Foresters also use them in plantations here.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

What's the name or species for this type of plant (pine )? Empty Larch survival

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:42 pm

As I am sure Kevin knows there is Zone 9 and there is Zone 9. He is in North Wales, UK and I am on the Space Coast of Florida.

Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 am

JimLewis wrote:Larch need very cold winters and a LONG dormancy. I'm in zone 7, and they don't do well here. Zone 6 is ok and zones 5 and 4 they'll thrive.

You're in zone 11 or higher. I can't imagine that they'll survive if they are a larch.

In my opinion, it's not a question of how long the winter lasts, it's more a matter of the summer conditions : I live in zone 8b, and the problem (compared to zone 9 in Wales) is that it can get very dry and hot in the summer.

Yet, my laches are very healthy : I put them in the shade in the hottest weeks, and I pay attention to the roots that must stay in a damp soil. Larches are very thirsty trees...

I have Dunkel larches (Larix x × marschlinsii, syn. L. × eurolepis, an illegitimate name), more resistant to drought than Larix decidua, the European larch, but friends here have European larches and they're doing well too.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down