Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trunk development

3 posters

Go down

Trunk development Empty Trunk development

Post  Fukien beech Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Hello dear friends,

I am new not only to this club but the art of bonsai too. I have several very young trees that I have already potted into some nice bonsai pots (they range from a height of 10 to 15 centimeters, with a trunk diameter of 1cm if that..they are very young indeed) They were purchased from a bonsai nursery. A beautiful trunk is what many of us desire...my question is, will the trunks get much thicker over time? Or should I be planting them in the ground or a larger planting medium to achieve reasonable trunk thickness before transplanting into a bonsai pot? Please some direction from some wiser more experienced peers would be great ThumbsUp
Fukien beech
Fukien beech

Back to top Go down

Trunk development Empty Re: Trunk development

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Trunks always get bigger faster in the ground, bigger pots can help, but bigger pots also promote root rot, too much soil and it stays too wet.

Some species will thicken better than others in a pot, the Ficus family will thicken better in a pot than other species, but they still thicken faster in the ground.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Fukien beech Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Very Happy
Thanks Billy! Looks like I have some work to do...my next tree may very well be from the ficus family...i have too many skinny trunks and il start by planting it in the earth for a while. Il let you know how I go!
Fukien beech
Fukien beech

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Are you in Melbourne, FL?

If so, our club has a workshop tomorrow in Palm Bay, I can get you directions, starts at 1 pm
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:46 pm

my question is, will the trunks get much thicker over time? Or should
I be planting them in the ground or a larger planting medium to achieve
reasonable trunk thickness before transplanting into a bonsai pot?
Please some direction from some wiser more experienced peers would be
grea

First question: Not much if they stay in bonsai pots.

Second question: It depends somewhat on what size tree you want as to whether you plant in the ground or a grow box. With small trees, a grow box can be a problem as Billy said because of issues with the pot/box staying too wet because the roots system isn't large enough to take up the moisture. That problem doesn't exist with ground planting.

But when you plant in the ground, it gets a bit complicated if you want to do any manipulation of the tree while it is growing -- or at least it does for MY aching back and knees. Planting in a small raised bed often is a compromise solution.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fukien beech Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:06 am

Mr Rhodes,

There is nothing more I would really enjoy, but im in Melbourne Australia! May just have to settle for long distance guidance Very Happy

Mr Lewis,

I still have a long way to go...so many things to consider! Well il try a grow box and planting in the earth and see what species take to them best. Thank you all for yor help Wink
Fukien beech
Fukien beech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down