Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blaauw Juniper Restyle

4 posters

Go down

Blaauw Juniper Restyle Empty Blaauw Juniper Restyle

Post  jgeanangel Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello all... I had the good fortune to acquire this juniper recently
Blaauw Juniper Restyle P1070462
Blaauw Juniper Restyle P1070463
This tree had been a semi-cascade bonsai for many years. A couple years ago it was placed back in a nursery container to restore some vigor and attempt to change the planting angle.
For me it has some nice features including good curves, nice deadwood, most of the foliage is on very pliable branches... This tree presented so many options and I was very tempted to make some drastic reductions, but in the end opted to keep most everything for now. Several branched needed significant shaping to bring the foliage back into the trunk. Experience has taught me not to be surprised if the tree loses a branch or two. In the future I look forward to refining this tree significantly.

Here it is after several hours of wiring...
Blaauw Juniper Restyle P1070603

I knew from the beginning that repotting was probably going to be an issue due to the established roots. After realizing that I was not going to be able to achieve a natural looking root base with the existing structure I decided I see if I could use some stones to help solve the problem.

Here are the results...
Blaauw Juniper Restyle P1070649
Blaauw Juniper Restyle P1070652
Blaauw Juniper Restyle P1070653

Believe it or not but you can actually see more including before and after video on
my blog.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Blaauw Juniper Restyle Empty Re: Blaauw Juniper Restyle

Post  Carolee Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:19 pm

I like what you did. The rocks and planting certainly add to the overall presentation.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  mchavez1 Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Nice work. I thin the pot and rock really compiment this tree.

mchavez1

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Hallo John

This is good work and a nice tree! But in my eyes the crown is too big....maybe not at the moment, but what if the greens starts growing. What about a more literati-style?

Best regards
Martin

[img]Blaauw Juniper Restyle Ibcyvi10[/img]
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:27 am

I like the literati-style, but definitely keep the rocks and ground cover. Otherwise, the trunk just loses something.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks all for your thoughts and virtuals. I certainly strongly considered an option with less foliage and I am sure the future holds something like that for this tree. The one thing that I would to continue to emphasis is the deadwood and some of the dead branches.
Thanks,
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down