Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what should be the shape of this plant, friends????

5 posters

Go down

what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? Empty what should be the shape of this plant, friends????

Post  yadibrar Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:40 pm

I had collected this ficus panda from nursery in big bag in jan. this year..then I planted in pot and allowed to settle..after that I also roughly wired some branches which are getting hard to bend them.....
now it is in good health and I have defoilated it today first time.....now I'm thinking about its shape and style for starting its training(wiring)....I'm a little bit confused so I want to show you all before doing anything....
all ideas and suggestions will be most welcomed.....[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? S7302618[/img]

[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? S7302713[/img]

yadibrar

Back to top Go down

what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? Empty Re: what should be the shape of this plant, friends????

Post  yadibrar Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:44 pm

[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? S7302714[/img]

[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? S7302715[/img]

[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? S7302716[/img]

[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? S7302717[/img]

yadibrar

Back to top Go down

what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? Empty Re: what should be the shape of this plant, friends????

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:37 pm

"Panda" is a variety of Chinese banyan, Ficus microcarpa. I'm not sure yours is ready for a bonsai pot.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:44 pm

A couple of suggestions

Wiring is good, but watch it carefully, Ficus can grow quickly and the wire can begin to cut. In your tropical climate a Ficus can begin to have wire marks in four to six weeks.
If you want to develop the branches you have it is important to direct energy. I notice a lot of small shoot from the base of some of the larger branches. These will take energy from the main branch.
Remove the smaller aerial roots. Aerial roots can cause the trunk or branch between the aerial root and the base to stop growing because the aerial root is now feeding the branch.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:27 pm

The natural shape of the banyan is as a wide umbrella, not as a pointy pine tree. It may or may not have aerial roots.

Yours is very young. I'd move it from the small pot and into one of the same depth, but 3-4 times as wide and long. Be sure that are many large drainage holes, because flat pots don't drain easily. Grow it for a couple of years in that pot, doing very little other than following Billy's suggestion about those secondary sprouts.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  yadibrar Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm

thanks very much frnds for all suggestions...i will definately work on them........

keeping in mind panda as banyan tree i have created these virtuals.....[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? Panda210[/img]

[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? Panda111[/img]

yadibrar

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:53 pm

I realize that two dimensional photos of three dimensional object can be misleading, but it still appears (in the last photo above) that have a number of small branches coming from the same spot on the trunk. This will only lead to problems later. Select one and remove the rest.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? Empty What should be shape of this plant????

Post  moyogijohn Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:25 pm

I have looked at all of the pictures more than once,,the top,apex, looks dead to me..is this true?? if so i would go with pic. number 6 chop at that branch using it for a new apex and has been said remove the smaller branches and small roots.then let it grow the long at the top...my opion good luck john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  yadibrar Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:59 am

thanks Mr.Billy and Mr.John......

dear billy, please make me clear on which small branches you are talking about .....

yadibrar

Back to top Go down

Post  yadibrar Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:48 am

[img]what should be the shape of this plant, friends???? Panda310[/img]

abt which one u r talking abt??

yadibrar

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:07 pm

In Area 1 I think you should remove one of the branches.

But, I think I was looking at the photo from the other side when I wrote about small branches.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down