Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development

4 posters

Go down

Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development Empty Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development

Post  PeacefulAres Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:33 pm

I made several thick crape myrtle cuttings late last year. This is one of the better looking ones. It grew quite strongly, and even produced a nice batch of flowers, but I felt it was developing to the point that I should probably do some hard cut backs.

Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development Lil_cr10
Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development Crape_10

What do you guys think? Do you see some potential here?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development Empty Re: Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Well, it looks like a stump. Enless potential. So, is it "Crape" or Crepe?"
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development Empty Re: Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development

Post  PeacefulAres Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:Well, it looks like a stump.  Enless potential.  So, is it "Crape" or Crepe?"
Hehe, I guess you're right, it is a bit of a stump. You should've seen it early this year when it was just a five inch piece of wood with no roots. Smile 

My question is, do you like the shape of the trunk so far? Of the two possible fronts, which one looks the best? I'm basically building the tree from scratch, so I want to try to make it as appealing as possible.

Crape seems to be the more common spelling, but I think either is okay.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Can you turn it a bit more counterclock from the first photo? Maybe make the left branch a little left of center? The current front with pic 1, has a bit of a slingshot going on, you could use this front, and get rid of the middle branch. The second pic shows too much of the reverse taper.... But there could be other better angles on the other sides.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:41 pm

PeacefulAres wrote:
Twisted Trees wrote:Well, it looks like a stump.  Enless potential.  So, is it "Crape" or Crepe?"
My question is, do you like the shape of the trunk so far? Of the two possible fronts, which one looks the best? I'm basically building the tree from scratch, so I want to try to make it as appealing as possible.
It's so hard to tell. Let it grow a bit. Study it. Decide later. Enjoy the process. Have a cocktail.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Guys, I'll get some more pictures for you in a little bit. I put this tree in the ground to test the colander/ground method. It's budding out again, so I'll take some shots from different angles.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Crape Myrtle from a cutting. In early stages of development Empty Love the shape

Post  bob92553 Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:44 am

Was looking into starting one of these how did you start the cutting and what is your soil recipe

bob92553

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down