Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big ol Layer

+18
Andrei Darusenkov
Bob Brunt
Ricky Keaton
prestontolbert
Hans van Meer.
mike page
pongsatorn.k
Jonny D
moyogijohn
Jerry Meislik
Todd Ellis
pmjos
Kev Bailey
Rob Kempinski
Pavel Slovák
peter keane
NeilDellinger
anttal63
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Big ol Layer - Page 3 Empty Re: Big ol Layer

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:49 am

Will, awesome trunk! Congratulations!

Best,

Andrei

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Big ol Layer - Page 3 Empty Big ol Layer

Post  Guest Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Hello Kev. I'm not sure whether it's the warmth of the sun or the light. Cut down any tree and the growth rings will be bigger on the sunny side. I imagine because the branches grow stronger on the sunny side, so do the roots. With airlayers in the ground, try experimenting with cutting back the foliage or leaf pruning on the sunny side. Alternatively, try a mirror on the back.

Back to top Go down

Big ol Layer - Page 3 Empty Big ol Layer

Post  Guest Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Just an update of the Elm. Fed well and growing strongly. I'm not worried about leaf size as they will reduce in time.Big ol Layer - Page 3 Img_0512

Back to top Go down

Big ol Layer - Page 3 Empty Feeding every watering

Post  Guest Wed May 25, 2011 9:26 pm

Anyone sceptical about feeding strongly every watering, here's the pudding.Big ol Layer - Page 3 Img_1619

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Some extensions are 2 feet long (600mm). Leaf pruned, wire removed and extensions left to fatten up furtherBig ol Layer - Page 3 Img_1620

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 pm

The front again.Big ol Layer - Page 3 Img_1621

Back to top Go down

Big ol Layer - Page 3 Empty big old layer

Post  moyogijohn Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Great tree you have found!!! only thing i think we should trade!!!! good work take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Big ol Layer - Page 3 Empty big old layer

Post  Guest Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks John. What did you have in mind? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:50 am

Hi,

How is this elm going on?
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:53 am

Hello Rui. I will update this Elm in the next couple of days.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:06 am

Looking forward to see the autumn colors.
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Big ol Layer - Page 3 Empty Sacrifice branches

Post  will baddeley Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:29 pm

No Autumn colours with this one Rui.One of the reasons for posting was to show how to really fatten up the branches. This tree was wired from top to bottom and the wire was left for a whole season. The wire cut quite heavily in places but this guarantees that the branch will stay in position. Once the wire was removed, the branches were then allowed to extend all season. This will continue into 2012/13 as well Big ol Layer - Page 3 Img_2321
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:34 pm

Once the branch has reached the right proportion for the tree, the extension growth/sacrifice branch will be pruned back. As most trees are apically dominant and the top branches will always grow thicker than the bottom, this technique of allowing unchecked sacrificial branches can be used at any time.Big ol Layer - Page 3 Img_2322
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:36 pm

A close up of the inside of this tree. Wonderful deadwood don't you think? Finally, wishing you a very happy new year and good health to you all. Very Happy Big ol Layer - Page 3 Img_2323
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  adam1234 Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:21 pm

will baddeley wrote:Once the branch has reached the right proportion for the tree, the extension growth/sacrifice branch will be pruned back. As most trees are apically dominant and the top branches will always grow thicker than the bottom, this technique of allowing unchecked sacrificial branches can be used at any time.Big ol Layer - Page 3 Img_2322
Hi will,

Thanks for this thread. I am learning alot. One question, Could one do the same for the secondary branches i.e let them grow unchecked to develop them, while developing the main branch at the same time? I imagine there would be branches crossing over everywhere and very messy.

What is the increament in branch diameter in a single year for these elms?

Is there some ratio used to determine the ideal branch diameter relative to the trunk?

Your threads are very educational, I have gone through them and you have made me see deadwood in a new light. I love your carving work and dead wood creation.

Thanks.

adam1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:19 am

Hi attwass,

This http://bonsaijournal.com/elm-pinching.php will show you how to proced.

Thank you all.
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  caycanhvn2012 Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 pm

nice tree,thank.
caycanhvn2012
caycanhvn2012

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 am

attwass wrote:
Hi will,

Thanks for this thread. I am learning alot. One question, Could one do the same for the secondary branches i.e let them grow unchecked to develop them, while developing the main branch at the same time? I imagine there would be branches crossing over everywhere and very messy.

What is the increament in branch diameter in a single year for these elms?

Is there some ratio used to determine the ideal branch diameter relative to the trunk?

Your threads are very educational, I have gone through them and you have made me see deadwood in a new light. I love your carving work and dead wood creation.

Thanks.
Hello Atwass and thank you.
I find it better to concentrate on the thickness of the Primary branch first before the secondary branches. Allowing the Primary to extend to gain thickness and then cutting back to a smaller secondary branch. This in turn will then become the next section of the primary branch at the same time as building taper.
The amount of wood a branch will put on depends on how well it's fed and how long it is allowed to extend. The first year from shoot may be slow but in subsequent years the branch will get longer and stronger.
The ratio of branch to trunk can vary enormously. A bonsai styled as a relatively young looking tree should have proportionately smaller branches than that of a veteran tree. The trunk on this Elm has a diameter of 12"/300mm and could easily support lower branches in excess of 1"/25mm.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  adam1234 Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:14 pm

will baddeley wrote:
The amount of wood a branch will put on depends on how well it's fed and how long it is allowed to extend. The first year from shoot may be slow but in subsequent years the branch will get longer and stronger.

Thank you for the explanation Will. I know you feed your trees at every watering and in that way growth is optimum. Would you then stop feeding the tree so vigorously when you are quite close to achieving the finished secondary branch structure? I would imagine that one would want to enjoy the ideal image for as long as possible before loosing that image to overgrown secondary branches. And when you have now reached the stage where the secondary branches are almost the same thickness as the primary branches what do you do?

I would also imagine that after attaining the appropriate primary branch thickness one would stop feeding so vigorously in shohin bonsai, am I correct?

The ronseal wet rot wood hardener that you apply to the deadwood, how frequent is the application, how many coats and is there any regime you follow before application (like sanding or something like that) or do you just paint it on?

Thank you.

adam1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next