Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to layer?

3 posters

Go down

Where to layer? Empty Where to layer?

Post  Ryan Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello all,

I picked up this small mallsai from Lowes a few months ago. It was all decorated for Christmas and looked sad, so I had to save it Very Happy It has grown quite a bit since this picture was taken, so health has imporved by a lot. I love small mame to shohin sized trees and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where they would air layer this tree. The curve of the trunk makes it tricky for me to decide where I want to layer. I also thought about carving the interesting section at the bottom of the tree, but that would probably look very odd. Thoughts please.

It had a bow and everything!
Where to layer? 001-59

Saved:
Where to layer? 002-59

Carve?
Where to layer? 003-52

Current back:
Where to layer? 004-46

Unless of course anyone can see this as being something decent without being layered, but I can't see that. Thanks!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Where to layer? Empty Re: Where to layer?

Post  Ravi Kiran Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:19 am

Hi Ryan,

having done the good work of saving the tree... do another one... let the tree rest for a year or two in the growth pot that you have put it in. Feed it well and let it grow then you might want to work on it. Right now it is way too small to be touched upon and definitely no layering on an already small tree. My humble suggestion...

Ficus being soft wooded are not carved usually. Even when carved they tend to out grow the intended design and morph into something else making carving an undesired option.

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Ravi Kiran wrote:Hi Ryan,

having done the good work of saving the tree... do another one... let the tree rest for a year or two in the growth pot that you have put it in. Feed it well and let it grow then you might want to work on it. Right now it is way too small to be touched upon and definitely no layering on an already small tree. My humble suggestion...

Ficus being soft wooded are not carved usually. Even when carved they tend to out grow the intended design and morph into something else making carving an undesired option.

Ravi

Thanks Ravi, I would have to agree about letting it be for a while. I guess what I should've said was where to layer, when the time comes. That bend makes it so difficult for me to decide.

I suppose I will not carve that section out. Guess it will just have to look weird Very Happy

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

What do you all think of a semi-cascade?

Where to layer? Rr

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Although, if I air layer there may be less trunk. I am considering not air layering though as the mame/shohin I would get would have that ugly scar like mark on its trunk and that would be near impossible. Maybe I will just cover it up. Here is probably what it would look like if I air layered:

Where to layer? Rr-1

Better or worse?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:39 am

The semi cascade IMHO is the best angle for your tree. I tmight be a good candidate for a rock planting.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:53 am

I tend to agree with Todd. The semi cascade does look good and appropriate....

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:16 am

Thank you both! Are you thinking I should air layer, or not?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Hmmm I was told on another forum that the semi-cascade would give it too much of a "box" look. Opinions on this?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:01 am

Here is the tree today:

Where to layer? 013-7
Where to layer? 011-20
Where to layer? 012-13

Now to let it grow, grow, grow!

Comments??

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down