Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum

+22
lordy
bonsaisr
bucknbonsai
bezmar915neo
FlyBri
Ted Clausen
littleart-fx
Joe Hatfield
armagh
AlainK
Dave Martin
Smithy
peter keane
pine queen
Kev Bailey
GeorgeJames
Tom Benda
Rob Kempinski
luciano benyakob
Jerry Meislik
John Quinn
William Feldman
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Empty Re: Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum

Post  William Feldman Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Ted Clausen wrote:How long did you wait before removing the tie-wraps? There doesn't seem to be any scarring or evidence of the wraps on the tree.
The twist-ties don't have to be removed. As the seedlings thicken, they engulf the twist-ties the same way you sometimes see trees engulfing old barbed-wire fencing. The wires in the twist-ties are thin enough that they don't leave a scar.

I should mention that I always use paper-covered twist-ties rather than plastic-covered. I think paper is better because it will eventually disappear when it is exposed to the elements. Plastic is more permanent.
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Empty Re: Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum

Post  FlyBri Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Gday William!

Truly inspiring stuff here! I - like many here - have been familiar with Dugzbonsai.com for a number of years, but it is always great to see others achieve his level of success within relatively short time. I am particulary impressed with the root flare you have created here: lots of tight, even rooting, and none of the fat, straight roots that I associate with 'normal' field-grown Tridents of comparable size.

I have recently taken delivery of 50 Trident whips for use in a couple of 'makeover' projects, but your thread has me wishing I had seized the opportunity to buy more... Neutral

Thanks, and goodonya!

FlyBri.
FlyBri
FlyBri

Back to top Go down

Post  bezmar915neo Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:53 pm

I was given about 100 pin oak seedlings by someone who thought they would make good bonsai.....I made 3 fusions but did not make a wire frame. I also twisted them. They seem quite healthy in garden center pots. I've experimented w leaf pruning on oaks before to reduce leaf size with great success. I have 3 other oak being field grown w leaves just over a 3 cm in length. I guess I will plant them in ground and leave then be for a few yrs. Good to see someone having succes w a shortcut to a fat trunk

bezmar915neo

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm

do you have anymore pictures of the progress on this tree over the last year?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 am

armagh wrote:[i]But let's play the "devil's advocate" (correct translation welcome):
That's the correct English idiom.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:10 am

bucknbonsai wrote:do you have anymore pictures of the progress on this tree over the last year?
Nothing dramatic. The big scars have a little more callus on them, but not much, and I probably won't be removing any big branches this year. I think it had to spend some time getting re-established after I cut back the roots.
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm

any more pictures yet?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Come on Will, let's see it now. Inquiring minds want to know!
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:59 pm

Okay, I'll take some new photos over the weekend. But don't get your hopes up. There haven't really been any dramatic changes.
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:48 pm

I think you should lift it and bring it to the meeting. There should be a good crowd for the guest speaker.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 am

Spring of 2012:
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03410
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03413

This "sacrifice branch" is almost touching the trunk. If they both thicken a little more, they might fuse, and I'll be able to incorporate it into the trunk instead of just cutting it flush at the bottom.
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03414

Another view of the same branch: (On the right.)
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03412

A closeup shows how the two sacrifice branches are helping to close the wound left by another sacrifice branch:
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03415

Here are some more fused-trunk trident maples in progress. They should really have stayed in the ground for a few more years, but I was evicted from my community garden plot and had to dig them up.
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03416
I think this is the one whose photo I posted in February 2010:
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03417
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03418

Here are some fused-trunk katsura trees, Cercidiphyllum japonicum, in progress:
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03419
Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Dsc03420
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:13 am

the first pic in the most recent post is quite impressive in how the whips fused. I wonder if you were to remove a part of another grouping and made an approach graft, or let it fuse to this trunk, would it speed up closing the holes? I would love to see that tree in person if you lift it this year.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:45 pm

Really interesting technique, and awesome results. I can't wait to watch it's progression.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Anderson Almeida Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:34 am

As today is the Acer (update)
Anderson Almeida
Anderson Almeida

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:56 pm

I really like the results of this technique, and the speed at which you can get to this result, but for some reason I want to stick to naturally growing a single trunk. I can't really pin-point the reason why, maybe in the back of my head it has a similar reason for not doing Tanuki.

Don't get me wrong, this technique brings out excellent results... just not my cup of tea.
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum - Page 2 Empty Fused-trunk Trident, Acer buergerianum

Post  BrendanR Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Can you post an update please?

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Bonjour,

Since I have more than two dozen 2 yr-old seedlings, I'll try to use some of them to make a root-over-rock tree on a very straight piece of slate: the trunks themselves would then be the "roots", some of them crossing each other and eventually fusing together.
The roots themselves woul be laid flat at the bottom of the rock, see what I mean?
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi Iris,

(the others, if not interested in arguing about words, texts and their interpretation can skip this post Laughing )

bonsaisr wrote:
armagh wrote:But let's play the "devil's advocate" (correct translation welcome):

That's the correct English idiom.
Iris

"Etre l'avocat du diable", or "Se faire l'avocat du diable" (from Latin "advocatus diaboli") is a very common expression in French. The culture here is mainly based (so far) on the Catholic tradition.

When the Catholic church set up a procedure for a "canonisation" (making someone a saint), there was a clerk whose task was to try and find out all the argulments against it.

When we face a problem, or have a discussion, trying to imagine all the arguments against what at first seems to be what will be accepted is "se faire l'avocat du diable".

But what surprised me was that when I checked, I found references in French, English and Polski (the latter doesn't surprise me Rolling Eyes ), but no reference in Italian, or Spanish, Italy or Spain being "very Catholic" countries.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I would really be interested in having inputs from others in the "Romanese  Catholic" cultural area.

EDIT: mind you, I'm of Polish origins. I'm proud to be, 99%, and I also feel proud to be French, 101%, because my family and I owe to France for reason you can imagine. So please don't be stupid and do not take irony for xenophobia. Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité as Kosciusko, Lafayette and Washington could say...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2