Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Split trunk Oriental pear - Pyrus pyrifolia

2 posters

Go down

Split trunk Oriental pear - Pyrus pyrifolia Empty Split trunk Oriental pear - Pyrus pyrifolia

Post  JimLewis Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:33 pm

This is one of my oldest bonsai. It stemmed from the waste from a 1978 pear relish that jackie made. From the cores tossed out back grew half a dozen seedlings. I moved them off to my driveway and when last seen they were about 50 feet high and in brilliant fall color. This was a seedling that grew from fruit dropped from the driveway pears some time in the early 90s. I split the trunk when it was quite young. The smaller trunk has twisted a bit, so the splits no longer oppose each other (and the scar is alomst gone on the small trunk, anyway).

It has never flowered, but its fall color is brilliant. It took well to the move up here from north Florida. I defoliate every summer for better ramification and better color in the fall. It has been especially happy this year, as you can see from the spring photo. I defoliated today.

What I'm asking is whether the lower branches on the left AND righ should be wired down even more.

Other suggestions solicited, too.

Split trunk Oriental pear - Pyrus pyrifolia Spring10

[url=https://servimg.com/view/13427896/337]Split trunk Oriental pear - Pyrus pyrifolia Spring12[/url]

Split trunk Oriental pear - Pyrus pyrifolia Spring13
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Split trunk Oriental pear - Pyrus pyrifolia Empty Re: Split trunk Oriental pear - Pyrus pyrifolia

Post  AlainK Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:27 pm

I had never heard of it before, so I googled it, and... I have one in my garden !

We call it "nashi" here, which is probably the Japanese name. Its fruit are delicious when the summer is sunny.

Back to your tree : I like it a lot, it's a very personal styling, and I think you've done a great job.

I wouldn't wire down the branches more, I think deciduous trees look more natural when limbs go upward at the end the way they do on your tree as it is now.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down