Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling

3 posters

Go down

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Empty Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling

Post  timahlen Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:07 pm

I bought this bald cypress from Wigerts Bonsai several years.  At the time, it was sort of a twin trunk, but the second trunk was too far up the main trunk to achieve aesthetic balance-- it was too "slingshotty." So I split the trunk, made a couple of trunk chops and this spring put it in a pot and began developing some branching. I still need to make some decisions about the apex.  Comments?

Tim Ahlen
Dallas, TX

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Bald_c10

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Bald_c13

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Bald_c11

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Bald_c14

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Bald_c12

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Empty Re: Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling

Post  Marty Weiser Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:23 am

I like your splitting of the trunk to give more separation. Do you plan to drill a hole through to the soil so that water can drain? I have a trident maple that has a deep hollow (will be a fairy tale style) that I am going to drill down to the soil so there is no standing water. It will rot, but not as fast if there is standing water.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Empty Re: Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling

Post  ironman Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Drain holes are a good idea and wise
Where did this tree come from?...looks nothing like the BC trees from Louisiana or Texas I'm seeing

ironman

Back to top Go down

Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling Empty Split Trunk Bald Cypress--First Styling

Post  timahlen Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:41 am

Marty,

I did not think to drill holes. But I will do that-- I've noticed some interior rot.

Ironman, I purchased the tree from Wigerts Bonsai Nursery, a nursery in Florida famous for its tropicals. He usually has a good inventory of BC's as well.

Tim
Zone 8

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down