Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accidentally split the trunk! Help!

+4
arihato
Precarious
Vance Wood
liam.longbottom
8 posters

Go down

Accidentally split the trunk! Help! Empty Accidentally split the trunk! Help!

Post  liam.longbottom Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi there, I'm relatively new to the work of Bonsai. Loving every minute of it though!

Whilst trimming back and bending my juniper shrub I have managed to spit the trunk down the middle. About 2cm straight between two medium sized branches (ill put up a photo when i get a chance). I was wandering what the best way of repairing this might be? I was thinking Kiyonal sealant and some florist tape should do the trick? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

liam.longbottom

Back to top Go down

Accidentally split the trunk! Help! Empty Re: Accidentally split the trunk! Help!

Post  Vance Wood Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 pm

liam.longbottom wrote:Hi there, I'm relatively new to the work of Bonsai. Loving every minute of it though!

Whilst trimming back and bending my juniper shrub I have managed to spit the trunk down the middle. About 2cm straight between two medium sized branches (ill put up a photo when i get a chance). I was wandering what the best way of repairing this might be? I was thinking Kiyonal sealant and some florist tape should do the trick? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm not certain if you are talking about a verticle split or a horizontal split. Crazy glue for wood will work really well if we are talking about a verticle split but if you split across you are in deep doo-doo.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Accidentally split the trunk! Help! Empty Re: Accidentally split the trunk! Help!

Post  liam.longbottom Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:24 pm

It's a vertical split. In the middle of a "V" shape of two branches and down the trunk..

liam.longbottom

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 pm

Vance, I've read about using super glue but have always wondered: is it intended to cover the entire break surface to seal it?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 pm

I would see if I could make a twin trunk.....

I did it with a Larch: Accidentally split the trunk! Help! 12488985663_81fc562e69_zIMG_2814 by Arihato, on Flickr

Here is the whole progression: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arihatos_bonsai/sets/72157632714370590/
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:30 pm

otherwise: Little wire around it, leave for a year and the plant eventually healthover. Will remain weak though
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:50 pm

i did the exact same thing on a shimpaku... i just wrapped it tight with floral tape and after a full growing season it appeared to be completely healed and re-joined, but i was wrong... and i re-split it in the same place, so i would think that wrapping it does work, but it might take more than one growing season to completely heal...

curious though to hear vance's follow up on the super glue for wood scratch
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:59 pm

People are in general kind of ignorant of how a tree really heals in a situation like this. You can wrap the tree and the opposing sides of the wound will in fact grow together but the split is still there and always will be. The entire split will not heal together because the only portion of the tree that has a growing potential is the cambium layer below the bark. That will heal but the split will still be there substantially weakening the trunk. Gluing the trunk together will still allow the cambium layer to fuse but the split portion of the trunk will also be fused together. Gorilla Glue will also work but it is slower to set and requires that the split be closed for a time splinted together while the glue cures.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:01 pm

i hate it when someone states the obvious...
i hate it even more when the obvious makes perfect sense and was overlooked (by me). Wink

as always, thanks vance !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Just remember, trees MEND; they do not HEAL.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:35 pm

beer city snake wrote:i hate it when someone states the obvious...
i hate it even more when the obvious makes perfect sense and was overlooked (by me). Wink

as always, thanks vance !

That happens to all of us. We tend to want to accept the evidence of our eyes in some cases where that evidence is only superficial. On re-thinking this issue I think the glueing is even more important if the branch is actually a critical element in the design of the the tree. There will always be stress on the joint and if it is not anchored properly it will always be an issue. Somewhere down the line it would probably be best to start thinking of a design that eliminates that particular limb.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Vance Wood wrote:Somewhere down the line it would probably be best to start thinking of a design that eliminates that particular limb.

which is the exact end result of my split... branch eliminated.
the tree this happened on is the one that i posted as my first phoenix graft and is one of the "lessons" that led to that new design Rolling Eyes
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:24 pm

I am really glad you have learned to adapt and think by the seat of the pants.  I have had this happen doing a public demonstration.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:39 am

And when you apply glue to a split or break make sure to apply it to the inside or old wood not on the cambium. Then you may tape,wrap a wire around it or a zip tie it to hold it together.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Vance Wood wrote:I am really glad you have learned to adapt and think by the seat of the pants.
that is how my life tends to be led Wink

Vance Wood wrote:I have had this happen doing a public demonstration.
affraid Razz

and thanks mike, thats what i was thinking and was going to ask for verification on this reply to vance.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:39 am

Broken my share of branches.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:38 pm

i fully expect to break one later today when i go for a radical bend or 2 on a willow leaf ficus...
but of course i hope i dont... Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:35 am

Well that way at least you won't be surprised if you break one Kevin. And now you will know what to do if one does break.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:40 am

M. Frary wrote: Well that way at least you won't be surprised if you break one Kevin. And now you will know what to do if one does break.
Better yet: If you expect one to break, take proper care & prepare the branches so that they do not, cannot, break..
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:57 pm

oooooh... "cannot" ???

big words tough guy !!! Wink Razz

i suppose my developing skill sets will one day allow me to boldly say (in a rumbling basso profundo),
"THIS BRANCH WILL NOT BREAK !!!"

as opposed to (in a begging pleading breath-holding whisper)
pleasepleasepleaseohmanherewegopleasedonot...break.

but i pulled it off w/o incident... will post pics in different thread.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:46 pm

beer city snake wrote:oooooh... "cannot" ???
big words tough guy !!! Wink Razz

Lol. Maybe I meant more something along the lines of: You know where the risks are, so you do not take risk, and you wrap things up, And you take extra care when bending. (That being said.. My last "snap" moment was about 2 months ago, with a crucial branch in the upper canopy. So.. slowly back the branch went. Tape came out, and the tree was left alone.. Rolling Eyes
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down