Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hawthorn repot question?

3 posters

Go down

hawthorn repot question? Empty hawthorn repot question?

Post  richard novis Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:49 pm

hi all

I have purchased a nice little hawthorn, it is currently in a training pot has been in there for 3 years, I would like to re-pot into a larger training pot with little to no root trimming, But am not sure if it is to late in season for this procedure,I would appreciate advice as i have no exsperiance with hawthorns.

I was planning on useing double line akadama for soil is this suitable?

Thankyou in advance for any advice

richard

richard novis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:01 pm

Hello Richard. If your Hawthorn is in leaf then it is too late. Acadama is ok but dries out very quickly and will need extra feed throughout the year.

Back to top Go down

hawthorn repot question? Empty Re: hawthorn repot question?

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:49 am

Howzit Richard,

If your planning to use Akadama it's a good idea to use some organics like pine bark to help hold some of the moisture. In my mix I also use volcanic cinders with the Akadama. Hope this helps. Smile

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  richard novis Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm

hi

thankyou for the quick replys, the hawthorn is in bud but leafs havent come out yet hope this helps

thankyou

richard

richard novis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Because the tree has been in its present pot for 3 years, its probably unwise to do a proper repot and root reduction. As you intend on a larger pot, just tease and trim the outside of the rootball.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 pm

But if the majority of the roots just go round and round the outside of the pot, you would be cutting most of them off.

So I'd suggest that as you have a very tight window of opportunity, you try this. Try mixing your Akadama with peat free potting compost or chipped bark and peat. Wash the roots clean with a hose pipe jet and arrange them as radially as you can. It often helps to wire your tree in to the pot to help it establish with no chance of rocking damaging the new roots. Keep in a shaded and sheltered spot for a few weeks.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  richard novis Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:15 pm

hi

thank you all for the replys, i have repoted with no root trimming using akadama and pine bark as sudgested the tree is now recovering in a shletered position thanks again

kind regards

richard

richard novis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down