Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hydrangea bush

4 posters

Go down

hydrangea bush Empty hydrangea bush

Post  moyogijohn Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 pm

Has anyone ever tried a hydrangea for bonsai?? let me know i may experment a little..thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

hydrangea bush Empty Re: hydrangea bush

Post  Dave Martin Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:44 pm

I am in the process of growing several varieties of H. Serrata as bonsai.
No doubt it will be said that they are not suitable as bonsai.........
But in Four Seasons of Bonsai by Kyuzo Murata there are a number of them featured. In the recently published Modern Bonsai they also feature in a number of the illustrations.

I have H. Serrata Shichidanka which has light violet blooms Also H. S. Beni Yama which has pale white/pink flowers which turn a bright red described as looking like a painted geisha ageing to bright red lipstick. I also have H. S. Kurenai Nishiki which is a gold variagated plant having white flowers which spot red(this is a weak variety).
all have survived or winter despite having been out but under woven shading for protection.
I got them last year and have simply planted them in largish pots to grow on ready for this year. It appears that training is by cut and grow they are also listed in Yoshimura and Giovanni Halfords book The Japanese art of miniature trees and landscapes.

If you look in issue 66 of Bonsai Today page 9 you will see a picture of Schizophragma Hydrangeoides which is a vine type plant with hydrangea type leaves.

If they follow true to hydrangea type all should be easily cultivated from cuttings certainly the ones I did from Shichidanka have all struck.

Hope this helps.
In the UK a good supplier is www.millcottageplants.co.uk which is near Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 am

Thank you,DAVE, Think i will give it a try. i am in w.va. usa thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Some of the paniculatas (pee-gee hydrangeas) work well too. They tend to be more upright, woodier and often single trunked.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

hydrangea bush Empty Climbing hydrangea

Post  gman Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 pm

I have a climbing variety..... but it will never make a "formal" bonsai but the leaves do reduce with a semi defoliating process.
It’s also a real conversation piece as it has really long flaky stringy somewhat lacy bark.
Good luck.
Cheers G.
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Thank you all for your input!!! I got myself a plant single trunk about one and a half inches,,pruned it down to broom style..we will see what it does this spring..thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down