Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blooming Blueberry

+3
Tom Benda
jon hultgren
Jay Wilson
7 posters

Go down

Blooming Blueberry Empty Blooming Blueberry

Post  Jay Wilson Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

Here is a small blueberry that is blooming it's heart out. The tree stands 11"/28cm from the top of the pot.

I know this vaccinium needs some work before it's ready for the big time, but I just had to share the blooming.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Blooming Blueberry Img_0211

Blooming Blueberry Img_0210

Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Blooming Blueberry Empty Re: Blooming Blueberry

Post  jon hultgren Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:53 am

I really like those flowers. They are not overwhelming with color but they seem to be a good size compared to the tree and look very delicate hanging on as they are.

Also after looking at your video I have to say I think i like the back side of this tree better then the front. The lower trunk seems to have a better character to me and the root spread looks more even. The current from looks like there is a large area with no roots. The back angle also hides the differences in the bark color and texture of the long lower branch on the left side.

Thats just my opinion though, I'm sure someone else will be around soon to tell you you have it the right way.
jon hultgren
jon hultgren

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Benda Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:48 am

I fell in love with blueberries here on old IBC.
It´s hard to get exactly this Vaccinium here in middle Europe, just in garden centres.
Usually You get some dense multitrunk, a clump of many thin trunks.
Fortunately I´ve found one single trunk, 2cm, nebari almost 4cm. So I started :-)
And I have many many cuttings :-)
And many older plants ("thin" multitrunks) in garden, they give me X kilograms of berries every year.

Tom Benda

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:56 am

looks very natural and beautiful =D
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Hello Jon, the flowers on this blueberry start off pinkish-red and as they open and as they mature they go white and end up a pale green.
Thanks for your thoughts on the front and back. I had to go look at it this morning and to a large degree, I have to agree with you. I have plans to do some carving on the current front- the area with no roots is mainly deadwood and the area between the two prongs is dead as well, so I plan to carve a hollow trunk connecting the two. If that doesn't work out, well, the back is a better choice as a front.
The thin lower branch (with the immature bark) is probably going to be removed in the future but I'm slow to cut things off on my trees.
Good thoughts Jon, thanks.

@ sixhunter. Thank you!

@ Tom. I have a small patch of blueberries for fruit. I have to fight the birds for them, but I get to enjoy some every year.
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Jay Wilson wrote:I have a small patch of blueberries for fruit. I have to fight the birds for them, but I get to enjoy some every year.
Never mind the birds! Evil or Very Mad
We have to stretch our bird netting over a frame, because the Lab would reach through the netting & help himself to every ripe berry there was.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 pm

bonsaisr wrote:
Jay Wilson wrote:I have a small patch of blueberries for fruit. I have to fight the birds for them, but I get to enjoy some every year.
Never mind the birds! Evil or Very Mad
We have to stretch our bird netting over a frame, because the Lab would reach through the netting & help himself to every ripe berry there was.
Iris

I got a chuckle out of that, Iris Laughing

I used to have a couple of dogs that would help me pick blackberries...They'd pull their lips back as far as they could and gingerly grab the berry with their teeth. Never could get them to spit the berry in the bucket though Rolling Eyes
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:27 pm

I like the back side as front also...

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Jay, Your tree is very nice. As Jon has mentioned, I also like how the blooms are small and elegant. How long have you been working with this?
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down