Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

yamadori hornbeam 2010

+11
-Daniel-
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
BobbyLane
lulo
augustine
Thomas Urban
Rob C
ogie
moyogijohn
Sebastijan Sandev
Maros Belan
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Empty yamadori hornbeam 2010

Post  Maros Belan Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi,
my name is Maros and for two seasons I'm interested in yamadori, so I'm newbie. Most of my trees are deciduous. This year my yamadori season started this weekend and here is few pictures of one of this weekends hornbeams. Best parts are buried under zeolith, nebari is good I think. Hope you will like it.

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Img_0014

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Img_0015

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Img_0017

http://belanmaros.blogspot.com/2010/03/yamadori-season-2010.html
http://belanmaros.blogspot.com/2010/03/yamadori-season-2010-2.html
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Empty Hornbeam

Post  Maros Belan Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi,
last spring collected hornbeam survived first winter. I made few corrections this weekend. Far from being real bonsai but should be nice tree once. If there are any advice on design I will appreciate that. Thanks.
Maros

yamadori hornbeam 2010 IMG_2402
yamadori hornbeam 2010 IMG_2264-1
yamadori hornbeam 2010 IMG_2265
yamadori hornbeam 2010 IMG_2266[url=http:http://belanmaros.blogspot.com/2011/04/hornbeam-no11.html
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Empty Re: yamadori hornbeam 2010

Post  Sebastijan Sandev Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Oooooooo....very nice. These are very very good hornbeams. For carpinus betulus yamadori raw material, that is top class.
Keep on doing a good job
Exclamation
Sebastijan Sandev
Sebastijan Sandev

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Thank you Sebastian for your kind compliment. I appreciate that especially because I have great respect to your trees, I love your orientalis yamadoris. Actually this mine hornbeam reminds me with its shape trees you are collecting, even if its much smaller than your biggest monsters Smile Wish you all the best.
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Empty yamidory hornbeam

Post  moyogijohn Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 pm

you have some very nice trees...great trunks and the branches are comming along well...i bet the root systems were hard to dig!!! good work take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:39 pm

Thank you John. Regarding roots and digging, it was actually pretty easy, there were as you can see big rocks, but nothing what one man cannot move without any heavy equipment. And this was first time I used big cutter Fiskars for cutting roots up to something like 40 mm. Since than taking any tree out is much easier.
yamadori hornbeam 2010 Img_1112
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Npw thats what i call a tree...great future for them,yhanks for sharing Wink

Regards,
Alex
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks Alex. Wink
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi,
my tree from this post was repotted this spring. I'm not sure about new position but roots did not leave me too much opportunities.
Tree is obviously still far from being finished.
yamadori hornbeam 2010 DSC_0144

yamadori hornbeam 2010 DSC_10140

yamadori hornbeam 2010 DSC_0064
May be next time I will go back to similar position.
yamadori hornbeam 2010 DSC_0136
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Beautiful material! Getting a tree in the right position can be frustrating. Especially when you have to look at it every time on an angle you are not fond of. However, like you said, the tree is far from being finished, so just enjoy how healthy the tree is.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Hello Maros,

I see you have found some really good Hornbeams. I moved to Brno, CZ from the US and I didn't have a car or anyway to obtain any large trees until now. What I did manage to get or buy I have put into Zeolit as well, and I followed W. Pall's methods so it's nice to see that you use this substrate too. I think it's the best and cheapest here in central Europe. I wanted to ask you, any tips on collecting European Hornbeam? I found monster that I would like to grab. Have you started digging this year yet? So far I have tried my luck with one hawthorn (hloh).

Thomas
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Maros,

Beautiful hornbeam. We collect American hornbeam here in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. They are lovely trees.

Question - is this European hornbeam or Carpinus Orientalis?

Best regards,

Augustine
central MD
USA

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Thomas, I do not have any special recommendation on collecting hornbeams, they are pretty easy to collect. It seems the bigger tree the better is its ability to survive after removal from woods. I just use stretch plastic foil to wrap roots and before wrapping around I'm covering roots with wet moss completely as far as it is possible. On collecting in our climate, we have about week or two for some deciduous species, its late for some others. It is strange spring in Central Europe this year.
Augustine: this is Carpinus betulus. There are no Oriental hornbeams in our country (unfortunately).

I was just removing winter protection last weekend and this tree survived winter well. I'm adding its actual picture, still long way ahead of us.
yamadori hornbeam 2010 <a href=yamadori hornbeam 2010 Dsc_3611" />
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Empty Yamadori Hornbeam

Post  Thomas Urban Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:10 am

Yes it is strange here this year. Quite warm except for the last week it went cold again and today warm Very Happy. I collected the tree I wanted to grab, but it was quite difficult as I don't have the best tools and I was alone. It's sitting in Zeolite and I am watering it now everyday thoroughly. I would like to grab an Oak as well but it is still too early as their buds haven't started to swell and same with re potting beech; too early.

Your tree looks good and is ready to open! You think you might take some power tools to the end of the nebari on the right side this year? Definitely a shame with the oriental hornbeams, I wish Czech had them too. I look forward to your progression pictures.

Thomas
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  lulo Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:13 pm

very nice

lulo

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:54 pm

Lulo: Thanks
Thomas:
root on right side of picture was carved last year. It has to get patina and heal around. I guess it will look OK. Carving it under different angle make sense but I did not wanted to loose root underneath scar. But it can be changed later. On pictures from summer last year.
yamadori hornbeam 2010 <a href=yamadori hornbeam 2010 Dsc_0010" />
yamadori hornbeam 2010 <a href=yamadori hornbeam 2010 Dsc_0011" />
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Very nice job, it looks natural and yes like you said, you can always do more work on it later as time gives more ideas.
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi,

I'm adding few pictures to update this thread on my hornbeam. It have been wired in January this year.

yamadori hornbeam 2010 1-201711

yamadori hornbeam 2010 Dsc_6610

Last edited by Maros Belan on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : *changed image size)
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Nice tree mate, love the powerful base on that Wink
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Maros Belan wrote:yamadori hornbeam 2010 DSC_6648

i really dig this picture...

the way the snow lays upon the branches is gorgeous and the super shallow depth of field is very nice allowing the foreground snow to stand out from the background snow...

oh yeah... the tree is great too !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  -Daniel- Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 am

Hi Maros, congratulations for your hornbeam. cheers

This is a great plant, and you're doing a great job. Dance

Ciao Daniel Very Happy
-Daniel-
-Daniel-

Back to top Go down

Post  evanB Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:58 am

I never knew people used zeoliths for soil. Interesting. It looks like you've changed to a more organic mix now with some traditional soil? I really like the tree by the way, thanks for updating.

evanB

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks for comments folks. I'm glad you like it.
the way the snow lays upon the branches is gorgeous and the super shallow depth of field is very nice allowing the foreground snow to stand out from the background snow...
This is result of picture taken with 35mm F1.8G lenses, I like it also how it can suppress background. Thanks. Very Happy

I never knew people used zeoliths for soil. Interesting. It looks like you've changed to a more organic mix now with some traditional soil?

In my opinion zeolith is one of the best possible substrates, does not decompose, even if exposed to freezing, keeps a lot of water which is beneficial in our climate with very hot summers. I'm using it many years with good results. And I'm not using more organic soil now. You maybe refer to black top of the surface on first picture. It is only old decomposed moss, it died and will be removed in spring and changed for new one. I used thin layer of soil to bond moss on zeoilth and moss obviously did not like composition of that soil layer. So I have to experiment and change type of soil and moss used. If I cover top of the post with moss it creates even better conditions for root growth in my opinion.
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:25 am

Hello Maros,

Really nice progression! My hornbeam did not survive unfortunately but it looks like yours is doing great. I am happy that someone else is using pure zeolit too with good results Smile Do you use 1-2mm on small plants by chance or only the 4-8mm?

Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  evanB Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:14 pm

In my opinion zeolith is one of the best possible substrates, does not decompose, even if exposed to freezing, keeps a lot of water which is beneficial in our climate with very hot summers. I'm using it many years with good results. And I'm not using more organic soil now. You maybe refer to black top of the surface on first picture. It is only old decomposed moss, it died and will be removed in spring and changed for new one. I used thin layer of soil to bond moss on zeoilth and moss obviously did not like composition of that soil layer. So I have to experiment and change type of soil and moss used. If I cover top of the post with moss it creates even better conditions for root growth in my opinion.

Yes, that's what I mistook soil for.

I've used zeoliths as a nutrient absorbent in saltwater aquaria with a German company called korallen zucht, it is pretty expensive for a 1L bag of rocks!  Apparently there are different kinds.  Nonetheless, very interesting, thanks again for sharing.  Your hornbeam has a bright future.

evanB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next