Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Large Taxus cuspidata

+24
marcus watts
jeffrey
Tona
sabamiki
Auballagh
BrianLarson
moyogijohn
kauaibonsai
Storm
rolandp
Jesse
Lee Brindley
pongsatorn.k
shimsuki
Jose Acuña
ogie
martin kolacia
Harleyrider
Ian Warhurst
sitarbonsai
Paul Landis
AlainK
Mario Stefano
Pavel Slovák
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Large Taxus cuspidata - Page 3 Empty Re: Large Taxus cuspidata

Post  Andrew Campbell Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 am

Marcus I completely understand your point. What Ryan Neil said is a revelation to me also, although I wasn't there and have only seen the video. I believe the Japanese Yew in Ryan's video's best feature was the deadwood which is why he did exactly as you say and drew the eye to the large area up top. However I don't think the best feature on Pavel's tree is the deadwood. I think the deadwood in this tree is more of a complement to the rest of the design, rather than the dominating focal feature of Ryan's.
Andrew Campbell
Andrew Campbell

Back to top Go down

Large Taxus cuspidata - Page 3 Empty Re: Large Taxus cuspidata

Post  Vance Wood Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Andrew Campbell wrote:Marcus I completely understand your point. What Ryan Neil said is a revelation to me also, although I wasn't there and have only seen the video. I believe the Japanese Yew in Ryan's video's best feature was the deadwood which is why he did exactly as you say and drew the eye to the large area up top. However I don't think the best feature on Pavel's tree is the deadwood. I think the deadwood in this tree is more of a complement to the rest of the design, rather than the dominating focal feature of Ryan's.

I agree, with this tree the deadwood is more like the cherry on a chocolate sundae whereas the deadwood on Ryan's tree is a major component. Both are great trees mostly because they use their best features to their best design capability. There is a subtile use of deadwood that many cannot get a grasp on. Too often we see trees that have more meaningless deadwood just for the deadwood's sake, and because of this, the tree kind of stands there like a four year old on a street corner looking for its mother, lost in the clutter of everything that is going on around it.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3