Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lagoestromia indica, Pest

2 posters

Go down

Lagoestromia indica, Pest Empty Lagoestromia indica, Pest

Post  amazonida Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:20 am

Hi, need help. Does anyone know what's going on with these new branches? is this in the root? i recently prune it hard, but i don't think it have some relation, does it?
well, what it seems to be?
Thanks

Lagoestromia indica, Pest Dscn6112
Lagoestromia indica, Pest Dscn6111
Lagoestromia indica, Pest Dscn6110

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Lagoestromia indica, Pest Empty Re: Lagoestromia indica, Pest

Post  JimLewis Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:22 pm

Aphids will do that to crape myrtle. Could be any of a number of insects that suck the juices out of leaves -- weevils, stinkbugs, other Hemiptera. Do you see any insects? Look in the evening or at night.

The pictures are a bit fuzzy, so I can't see if the leaves have been eaten (beetles or slugs/snails).

Do I also see signs of chlorosis? That is very common with crape myrtle. Add a dose of micronutrients or use a fertilizer with them already in it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  amazonida Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm

well Jim, i'll post more pictures.. i'm using osmocot 10-10-10 with micronutrients.. but only now, after 30 days of repoting. do you think it is in the plant system? do you think it has solution?
Thanks

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Solution number one would be to stop using Osmocoat. You simply don't know when and with what dose your trees are being fertilized when you use any time-release fertilizer. You could -- statistically speaking -- have every one of those little balls of solution pop on the same day and time -- or never if, by happenstance the triggering temperature and humidity is not attained. Almost every houseplant fertilizer containes micronutrients -- or you can use an organic fertilizer (fish emulsion, for example) and buy a bottle of chelated iron solution (which seem always to have the other micronutrients in it) and add 20 cc to the bottle of fish emulsion.

Solution number 2 is to check your tree carefully (even with a hand lens) for any kind of critter on or under the leaves. Do it in the day, then again at night. Look very carefully. MY best guess would be aphids or mealybug or whitefly. Aphids can be hard to spot sometimes. Whitefly and mealybugs will be VERY evident. Check our Rogues Gallery at the top of this Forum. We at least have Aphids there.

There also are examples of the Hemiptera that could be doing this. It would only take a couple of them to do it. They're quite large -- at least 1/2 inch (2 cm).

Aphids can be controlled with a soap spray. But they all can be controlled with a pesticide that contains pyrethrins. There are several on the market up here. A rotenone spray will also kill them, but do not spray it anywhere within 50 feet of a stream or pod with fish or invertebrates in it!!!!! In any case, follow label directions.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  amazonida Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:51 am

Jesus Doc, JIm, thanks... osmocoat suspended.
The tree is in observation..i'll put more photos for you to see if the treatment is working. some new branches are comming normal..is there any possibility to save the stump?

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:05 pm

.is there any possibility to save the stump?

Sure. It'll be OK. The sucking insects rarely kill a tree -- tho they can weaken it to the point that some disease can get a foothold.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  amazonida Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi Jim, this was what i did to recovey the stump. the white powder is hormony to estimule roots, when i took it from yamadory it was worse of you see now. it helps?

Lagoestromia indica, Pest Dscn4610
Lagoestromia indica, Pest Dscn4710
Lagoestromia indica, Pest Dscn4711

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Looks OK to me. It's hard to diagnose from a picture, though.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  amazonida Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:22 am

ok, Jim...let's just wait a few weeks... and thanks for the map and the explanation about kokufu ten, i'll remeber if a have a chance to go there!

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down