Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms

+73
abcd
BobbyLane
Richard S
bonsaiboy50
Frojo
JoesBonsai
Plecostomus
Sam Ogranaja
milehigh_7
mambo
AndyRutledge
Ryan B
my nellie
marcus watts
Mitch Thomas
BrianG
Rui Marques
Mário Eusébio
Viriato Oliveira
jrodriguez
Andre Beaurain
Gary Swiech
William Feldman
Jay Gaydosh
AJ
Matija Triglav Tijek
ROBOKU
Ronald kelly
suthin
bontailo
littleart-fx
Russell Coker
dorothy7774
Smithy
Andrija Zokic
Chris Cochrane
Peter E.
Roger Snipes
anttal63
fiona
Jay Wilson
Todd Ellis
Paul Landis
Arzivenko
bigsteve
pine queen
AlainK
John Quinn
Randy_Davis
Tom
Ed van der Reek
Nik Rozman
eric sanders
Mario Stefano
Kev Bailey
iasnore
peter krebs
sitarbonsai
andy mcconnell
p@scal
Pavel Slovák
JimLewis
amazonida
RyanFrye
Marlon Machado
Fuzzy
Rick Moquin
Tom Simonyi
Walter Pall
Storm
Hans Vleugels
Velodog2
Rob Kempinski
77 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 Empty Re: Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms

Post  Tom Simonyi Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:16 am

Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 Img_0911

Ficus rubiginosa
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 Empty Re: Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms

Post  Bougies!!1!1!!! :) Wed May 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Fuzzy wrote:This one was at Mr. Kato's nursery , Mansen, before he passed away.
Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 Kato_b10
For me this tree is close to perfection.............stunning![/quote]

Beautiful tree!  I'm hoping to learn something here because I'm confused about broom-swept, I think that's a nice tree but at the same time I can't help but look and think it doesn't have clear primaries (well, it has so many consistently-sized ones it's almost like a bush), and to think that the procedure for developing that specimen would primarily be just to repeatedly trim the silhouette (obviously you'd go in to remove some stuff that was messy/redundant/crossing/etc, but the general pruning-method seems it's just silhouette-trimming ie 'hedge trimming' approach - am I wrong on that?)

Thanks for any info on this, I see the natural growth pattern of crape myrtles as being close to a 'broom-style' form and, since my first collected crape was such a dog of a piece of stock that I didn't know what to do with it, I've decided on simply trying for a broom-style wherein I'll have a squished-down version of a crape's natural form - any thoughts on whether that's a good/bad idea (or tips / other ideas!) would be hugely appreciated, here's a link to it's progression album and this is it now,

Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 Ahv4Ezj

Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 Ahv4Ezj

, where I'm basically just trying to widen / make-horizontal the primaries on the edges to give me the structure to, eventually, have a squished-down version of a crape's natural growth-habit (which seems very 'broom'-ish to me, though I'm just getting to the point where styles are on my radar I spent all of last year just collecting & prepping stock to get my collection going!)
Bougies!!1!1!!! :)

Back to top Go down

Post  john blanchard Mon May 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Hedge pruning is a very different thing compared to W. Pall 's hedge pruning technique. For instance at the end of the growing season to the beginning of the next, when it's time to prune for taper and branch shape, hedge shears are useless!
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down

Post  Bougies!!1!1!!! :) Tue May 29, 2018 12:04 am

john blanchard wrote:Hedge pruning is a very different thing compared to W. Pall 's hedge pruning technique. For instance at the end of the growing season to the beginning of the next, when it's time to prune for taper and branch shape, hedge shears are useless!

Could you elaborate on what you mean here? I wasn't literally meaning I'd be using hedge shears (thinking there was a joke that just went over my head lol)....

Just re-read two of Pall's articles on the 'hedge pruning' tech and it's precisely what I thought I'd described (thanks for mentioning that, I didn't know that was his modus operandi for growing trees in-general!), would like to know which part you think I'm out-of-step with w.pall on? In fact the entire idea of how I'm thinking to approach this crape - way more silhouette-pruning than hard-pruning - seems almost identical to what he describes in the two articles of his I just read on this so am genuinely confused where I'm off-base and really want to figure it out because I feel like I'm finally starting to 'get' the basics of building structure and with having so many trees (need to get rid of some...), am WAY happier to have a method that's less intensive than the constant hard cut-back approach...

For instance, the picture posted in my last post - that's the flush produced after the 2nd hard-pruning of this growing-season, my intent when looking at that giant bush now is *not* to go and hard-prune it back yet again, but to start 'silhouette pruning', and this seems to be precisely what Pall is advocating (really wish I'd read those articles earlier and thanks again just for bringing him up, his substrate/water/fertilizer article was huge for me when starting out in bonsai I really hold him in the highest esteem!!)

Back to top Go down

Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 Empty Ficus rubiginosa

Post  Tom Simonyi Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Twenty seven inches in height from the soil lineBrooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 8b506810
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:58 pm

So much variety!

Here's a Beech
Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 43284672980_f1946a4284IMG_6821 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Ulmus Minor
Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 43284676430_065b703a11IMG_6808 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Brooms - Clean Sweep - Show Us Your Brooms - Page 10 43284677220_d729ac1c40IMG_6803 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

dprm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  john blanchard Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Bougies, I may have misunderstood you. cheers
Some people seem to think W. Pall 's hedge technique is easy. It's not, there is a lot of pruning to do and therein a lot of decisions to make on what to keep and what to cut away.
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Bobby is it birch? thumbs up Very nice
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10