Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie review

+8
Jim Doiron
Jeremy
Kev Bailey
andy mcconnell
sitarbonsai
Joe Hatfield
Jur
JimLewis
12 posters

Go down

Movie review Empty Movie review

Post  JimLewis Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:14 pm

We just got back from seeing AVATAR 3-D. I was vastly UNDERwhelmed. The story was third-grade (and second-rate) science fiction, the 3-D effects were nothing to write home about, and it hurt my eyes to watch for two hours. Some of the trees were OK, though.

Pffft! And Piffle.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Movie review Empty Re: Movie review

Post  Jur Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:26 pm

JimLewis wrote:Some of the trees were OK, though.
And what about the flying mountains?
It's seems to me inspirational...
And mushrooms, mushrooms were amazing! Laughing

Jur

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:30 pm

I thought the organic visuals were very cool. I agree the story could have been a little better. If you do some research on the net you can find the original story line which, to me, would have been loads better. Non the less, I still enjoyed the movie in 3D IMAX.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 pm

Jur wrote:
JimLewis wrote:Some of the trees were OK, though.
And what about the flying mountains?
It's seems to me inspirational...
And mushrooms, mushrooms were amazing! Laughing

I agree, the movie had amazing mountains, mushrooms Smile , and landscapes.
I also agree with Jim that the 3D made me feel dizzy and very nauseous (I get nauseous and stomach pains very easily), yet I think overall the movie was pretty good.
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  andy mcconnell Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:16 am

trees were good
colours shapes and forms were like my reef tank (very cool) and an rain forest
agreed story and actors a bit hokey!!!!!!!!!! glorified disney
but i really liked the 3d
andy
andy mcconnell
andy mcconnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:05 pm

The 3D version was fully booked, so we went into the standard projection. I loved it. I can understand the criticisms for the ungainliness obvious nature of the plot but the vision of the raytracers, in creating an alien world, was excellent. How can you not love the helicopter lizards, the jellyfish seeds and the bioluminescent plants. Not to mention the reality and scale of the trees portrayed throughout.

Sorry Jim, I've always loved sci-fi and haven't loved one this much since 2001 a Space Oddysey and Star Wars. For the first time in many, many years I'm going to go back and watch again, in 3D this time.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi,
My daughter has not stopped talking about the movie since she saw it in 3D. She wants to go again, guess I'll give it a go after reading the reviews here. ThumbsUp

Last edited by Jeremy on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 am

I also thought it was visually stunning but the story was just terrible. A boiled down version of Disney's Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, a Return of the Jedi. I left early (by a few minutes) to collect my daughter and with no regrets given the completely predictable ending. Enjoyed it but not enough to pay to see it again.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Yeah it was interesting that in each of it's parts the movie was disappointing - the story line was simple, obvious, and derivative, but still pretty decent, effects were sometimes good, other times awkward, and mostly forgetable, and the ecology way to simple and underdeveloped - yet in the end, interestingly, I found myself not wanting the movie to stop. I wanted to stay in that world, which is a phenomenon I have read about on the internet. More thought on the 3D - although far from perfect it was the first movie of that type I have seen where it was not used solely as a gimmick to make you flinch when balls were thrown at you, etc. At it's best the 3D effect should be forgetable I guess, because it should seem natural. Perhaps this contributes to the almost unconscious feeling of being IN that world. Indeed when I think back on it, I feel much more like I was a part of that movie than with most.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Haven't seen it, probably won't until it hits the small screen; however, comercials I have seen of the floating land masses and the descriptions of the humanoids and creatures seems to mimmick the description of the parts of the worls after it is broken up as described in the "Death Gate Cycle" by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman.

Actually, the Death GAte Cycle, for those SciFi Fantansy fans is a great read.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Movie review Empty I loved it.

Post  Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 pm

Sorry Jim but I loved it... I saw it on the second day it was released in the UK In 3D Imax with the full VERY loud sound system.

Putting the predictable Disney's Pocahontas storyline aside the 3D at times was amazing (depends on where you sit in the auditorium) the visual effects were convincing, I loved the floating islands and the landscapes... then again my business IS 3D realisation. I never went intending to see a good story (such as Shawshank) I went for fantasy and it delivers by the truckload.

I guess you would find Harry Potter a bit far fetched too! A ginger with two friends... who would believe that! Twisted Evil

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:34 am

Oh yes, and as someone else mentioned, much of the flora was very obviously modeled directly from a coral reef. Not so much imagination really.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:36 am

Well, I dunno what a "ginger" is, but I liked some of the HP movies. The books, however -- the three I read, at least -- were poorly written drek. But the kids -- including my grandkids -- loved them all.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:58 am

JimLewis wrote:Well, I dunno what a "ginger" is, but I liked some of the HP movies. The books, however -- the three I read, at least -- were poorly written drek. But the kids -- including my grandkids -- loved them all.
A "ginger" is someone with red hair. Often seen as being quick to temper Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 am

will baddeley wrote:A "ginger" is someone with red hair. Often seen as being quick to temper Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

Think Scottish... Think...? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Tony... shall I get my coat?

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Tony wrote:
will baddeley wrote:A "ginger" is someone with red hair. Often seen as being quick to temper Movie review Icon_evil Movie review Icon_biggrin

Think Scottish... Think...? Movie review Icon_twisted Movie review Icon_twisted Movie review Icon_twisted

Shall I get my coat?

I AM NOT ******** GINGER!!!!!!!!!!

I'm Strawberry Blonde Movie review She_de10
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 pm

fiona wrote: I AM NOT ******** GINGER!!!!!!!!!! I'm Strawberry Blonde

Did ANYONE mention you sweetie Twisted Evil

Movie review Willy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:
Actually, the Death GAte Cycle, for those SciFi Fantansy fans is a great read.

Agreed!
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Tony wrote: Did ANYONE mention you sweetie Movie review Icon_twisted

Of course you meant that Groening animation construct Caretaker Willie rather than poor sweet lil moi. Everyone will have understood that intention.

Or, as we say up here in Glesga:

"Aye! Right!"
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down