Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new to bonsai trees

5 posters

Go down

new to bonsai trees Empty new to bonsai trees

Post  gcollin Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:15 am

Hi my name is collin, bonsai trees seem interesting to me, i have been interested in Asian culture for a while now, i am taking martial arts and reading about their history, and basicly trying to learn as much as i can, and as i said before, bonsai trees seem interesting.
So how exactly do you make a bonsai tree, it would be nice if you could start from the very very beginning, if you would like to help me.

-Collin

gcollin

Back to top Go down

new to bonsai trees Empty Re: new to bonsai trees

Post  Jim Doiron Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:45 am

Hey Colin, when I was first interested in it the first thing I did (which is what I do with almost anything I am interested in) is I searched the local library and checked out every book they had on it. It's a great way to see a multitude of pictures of different styles and and types of trees, learn which ones work and which don't and while those are peaking your interest many books teach you how to attempt it yourself. I would also check if there is a local club that way, come spring, you might be able to find a good material source or even join them on a collecting trip. Best of luck with your beginnings.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

new to bonsai trees Empty New to Bonsai

Post  bonsaisr Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:31 am

Where in Colorado are you? There is at least one club in the Denver area.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:19 pm

All of that is excellent advice. While we're not in a position to give an online course in beginner bonsai here, reading all of our past messages will help.

But the library, or a bookstore, and a local club are super suggestions -- especially during winte when there not much you can -- or should -- do.

Here are the Colorado clubs:

Colorado

COLORADO - Colorado Springs
Pikes Peak Bonsai Society. Meets at the Senior Center (Ceramics Room),1514 N. Hancock, 10:00 am, second Saturday of each month. Website:http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/PikesPeakBonsai.html. E-mail: rjb@phoenixbonsai.com.

COLORADO - Denver
Rocky Mountain Bonsai Society. Meets at the Denver Botanic Gardens on the first Tuesdays of each month at 7:30 PM except in December. For more information go to our website www.rockymtnbonsai.org

COLORADO - Fort Collins
The Bonsai Society of Northern Colorado has meetings on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 7:00pm, and workshops on the second Saturday of each month, 1:00 to 3:00pm. We have shows in the spring and fall. All meetings, workshops and shows are at Fort Collins Nursery, 2121 E. Mulberry in Fort Collins. Contact: Barbara Rich, 970-663-3046.

COLORADO - Grand Jct
The Western Colorado Bonsai Society of Grand Junction. is available through e-mail: trehaus@excite.com we are a fairly new club but we have many informative and knowledgeable members. We have two shows a year and they are always in our newly installed (by us) Japanese garden at the WCCA in Grand Jct.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  djlen Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 pm

If you are new to Bonsai but have a working knowledge of houseplants, you might consider getting
any of of several houseplants that will develop woody stems and can be made to resemble a tree
over time.
That way you could get a running start even in the winter time and ask questions as they come to
you with your new project.
Any type of Ficus is easy to grow and amenable to training in a pot to any of several Bonsai shapes.
Schefflera also can be trained for Bonsai but the trick is to find a small leaf variety.
There are many more choices out there but these two are very easy for the beginner. Google "Ficus
as Bonsai" and you will see how nice some of these creations can be.......and they stay green all year
'round.
Here is a link to get you a bit familiarized with how one goes about making an ordinary plant look like
a mature tree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmkLGCtr6O4
djlen
djlen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down