Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Bonsai trees

2 posters

Go down

New to Bonsai trees Empty New to Bonsai trees

Post  kamikaze Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:51 am

Hi, I'm new to Bonsai Club and keeping bonsai trees:
I live in zone 5A (northern Illinois) and purchased a Japanese Juniper (prostrate style, not sure which type) this past 10-2009. The tag on the tree stated it was 85 years old (unknown if true). It is 19" long, 9" wide, and about 8" high from the base of the trunk. Thus far, because of the colder temps (winter) the plant has been indoors only. I provide light thru one of the windows and try to keep the soil moist. I need advice on it's care and possible transfer to the outside (this Spring?). I can e-mail high res images if requested.
I would appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanks, Kamikaze

kamikaze

Back to top Go down

New to Bonsai trees Empty New to Bonsai trees

Post  Guest Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:09 am

Hello Kamikazi. All Junipers are kept as outdoor trees. Some overwinter their Junipers in a cold greenhouse or well lit shed/ garage. As yours is used to indoor temps, you could damage it by placing it outside. I would recomend a cold room in your house until Spring. Judging by your description, its doubtful that its so old, Photos are always a good idea, for advice or direction.

Back to top Go down

New to Bonsai trees Empty Re: New to Bonsai trees

Post  kamikaze Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:35 am

Thanks for the reply. Being new to this site, I don't know if images can be loaded on to this site. If so, please let me know how.
Kamikaze

kamikaze

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:50 am

Hi and welcome the the IBC. Best thing is to do for learning how to upload photos is to go into Jim Lewis's tutorial in the Testing forum. Click HERE and you should get to it - if not it's the first board on the main forum index.

Just follow the steps Jim outlines.

Hope this helps.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down