Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new bonsai trees

+4
bonsaisr
NeilDellinger
Storm
jordan12
8 posters

Go down

new bonsai trees Empty new bonsai trees

Post  jordan12 Sat May 15, 2010 7:55 pm

new bonsais...let me know what ya think plz =] new bonsai trees 00115

jordan12

Back to top Go down

new bonsai trees Empty Re: new bonsai trees

Post  Storm Sat May 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Could be something nice in there, but its very hard to say, cause you have the picture from above.
Please post some more images. =)
Single shots of each tree, from some different angles etc, and we could most likely tell our oppinions.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sat May 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi,
Good start. You need to put those junipers outdoors though or they're gonners.
Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

new bonsai trees Empty New Bonsai Trees

Post  bonsaisr Sat May 15, 2010 11:56 pm

The one on the left in the square pot appears to be Portulacaria afra, dwarf jade. It has bonsai potential, but get it out of that pot, into a shallow pot in bonsai or cactus soil. Put it outdoors NOW, starting in shade & gradually into full sun. The junipers may be too late for repotting this year, but also get them out into full sun. The plant over on the right, with large leaves, is not a bonsai & I doubt if it ever will be. It is a houseplant. Find out the name of it.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sun May 16, 2010 5:02 am

As Iris said they should be gradually moved outdoors. The junipers will die quickly indoors and the jade will grow very quickly as it is transferred into full sun. The other tree looks like it could be one of those desert rose plants maybe. I am also in IL and have slowly eased my jade and a few other tropical plants outside, although they are brought inside when the temperature goes below about 48F at night. Be patient with the junipers. Good Luck.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  popan vasile Sun May 16, 2010 6:54 am

Warm welcome to everyone,
apologize for the mistakes of language but write with a translator and it translates as translate.
I would like to add just a small indication, I think that assumed Portulacaria is not portulacaria , if we look closely at the leaves are not typical for a succulent leaves portulacaria ... I'd rather just say it's a Ligustrum ...but because image quality is bad I'm not sure. My opinion is that all copies be removed from light, there in that environment will slowly suffocate. cheers

popan vasile

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan12 Sun May 16, 2010 3:19 pm

here is the juniper in the middle back of the 1st pic
new bonsai trees 00116
new bonsai trees 00213
new bonsai trees 00311
new bonsai trees 00410

jordan12

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan84 Sun May 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Can any of these be grown indoors under a grow lamp?

jordan84

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan84 Sun May 16, 2010 6:47 pm

The one on the left in the white square pot, I bought it on ebay and was told it was a chinese elm. Not sure if thats accurate but whatever it is I'd like to keep it going. Please tell me how deep a shallow pot is. Sorry but I'm very new to the bonsai trees and need all the help I can get.

jordan84

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sun May 16, 2010 7:50 pm

I cant really help you with the identifying on trees, but almost every tree has to be outside. Its just a question of the temperature at that area. Like here in Norway, Im forced to keep my tropicals inside most of the year, cause its so damn cold here. But I have them outside during the hot summer. In full sun and in a little sheltered position.
The thing with trees are that they have to have some circulation. Not something you find adequate inside a room. The air will be dry, as long as it is inside a house and not a greenhouse. I would have done like the other members here have said, to put them out slowly into full sun.
In this example, discussing pots, there arent a correct answer to how deep, if you ask me, but when it come to shallow - its just shallow'er.
Most bonsai pots are quite shallow, and would often not be more than a couple of inches. If it gets lower than this, its more over to a slab or a tray.
Make sure you have a bit too big pot at start, so they can grow how you want it, then downsize it over some time. Just make sure all pots have good enough drainage holes under them. And what are they planted in btw?
If the soil is too thick, and contains too much water, the roots will rot. Make sure you plant them in a good drained mix.
The last juniper you've posted, thats really 2 trees right?
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan84 Mon May 17, 2010 1:35 am

actually no, that last juniper is one tree
I have them planted in an all organic potting mix, no idea if that is the right type of soil or not so any advice on what I should plant them in would be great too
Most of my trees are probably not really bonsai trees but starter trees, of course I didn't know that when I first started.

jordan84

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Mon May 17, 2010 3:03 am

jordan84 wrote:The one on the left in the white square pot, I bought it on ebay and was told it was a chinese elm.

That may very well be. Google on Chinese elm bonsai & you will get lots of information. Can you get to the Chicago area? You need to get bonsai pots and bonsai soil. If you are not near a nursery that sells bonsai supplies, go online to Dallas Bonsai Garden or Bonsai by the Monastery for pots. Shipping bonsai soil is expensive. Call the Chicago Botanic Garden. They can probably tell you where to buy bonsai soil.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan84 Mon May 17, 2010 4:31 am

Thank you Iris for the advice, very much appreciated. Should I be getting bigger pots in order to let the trees grow more? Sorry so many questions but I'm in the very early learning stages.

jordan84

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 am

The big leaf plant looked like adenium aka desert rose? I think they are also used as bonsai materials, thailand, indonesia do have very outstanding ones =D
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Mon May 17, 2010 2:52 pm

jordan84 wrote:Should I be getting bigger pots in order to let the trees grow more?
I suggest you join the nearest bonsai club. They can answer your questions based on local conditions.
If you want the trees to grow bigger, especially thicker trunks, yes, the pots should be somewhat bigger.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  jordan84 Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 pm

Iris thanks again, you're the best!

jordan84

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content