Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pyracantha

5 posters

Go down

pyracantha Empty pyracantha

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:08 pm

This is another adition to my family of newly aquired bonsai I got this from the parks and recreation department .They were taking these out and replaceing a few that had gotten ran over by a car .The new ones were way smaller than this one and I talked them in to letting me have it so all of them on one side would be the same .This is the rear
pyracantha Dsc02120
the right
pyracantha Dsc02121
and left
pyracantha Dsc02122
and what I see as the front
pyracantha Dsc02123
it had a ok nebari but I might consider doing an air layer in the future.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

pyracantha Empty Re: pyracantha

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:17 pm

one more shot
pyracantha Dsc02124

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:12 am

It is a nice piece of material. I would be very careful how I removed portions from the trunk as cuts do not heal quickly. It is best to hide the cuts, if possible.
Hank
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:25 am

How tall is this tree? How old?

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Hank thanks for the info I have not removed anything as of yet what you see was the result of the drunk driver that hit the row. All I did was clean up where the lower branches were ripped off.There is however galls in a few places that I was wanting to remove to make the trunk look better.

Libby at this present time the tree is approx 34"tall the tree was 48-50 inches tall b4 being hit The parks and rec people planted these in 1964 Unfortunately this was the only one that did not recieve a full decapitation from the car.There were about 6 of them Crying or Very sad

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  tom tynan Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Hey Seth....It is a cool pyracantha trunk you have collected; you should have no problem getting new buds to pop all over the trunk; with ample water and fertilizer. Almost all of the side branches will need to come off eventually....you should look for a flexible branch where you want to create the new top and then make a sloped cut down and towards the back. This wound will heal; with cut paste and perhaps wrapping tight with some grafting tape. The trunk has a nice base and a big-gentle curve - very nice. Good luck.....Tom

tom tynan

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:27 am

Thanks tom I have some good plans for this tree it has good movement .I hope it survives this winter .

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat May 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Well spring has come in for this tree !! It gave me a little scare the top branches of the tree started to shrivel up and I did not see any bud swelling anywhere so I started to get a little worried this one did not survive but about 2 weeks later this is what I have affraid
pyracantha Dsc02823
pyracantha Dsc02824
pyracantha Dsc02825
pyracantha Dsc02826
It is strange that all of this back budding is happening on one side of the tree very little on what is projected to be the back except down around the base that part of the tree. The back is still alive i scratched it in a few areas and just as green as can be .Ooh well I guess I will let the base buds grow and thread graft them where I want them to be.Has any one ever thread grafted a pyracantha?? or am i entering uncharted territory??

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  aji Sun May 23, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi Seth!
Is the bare side of the tree facing the sun/light? the lack of sunlight could be a factor?
the base looks interesting maybe layer the top? i haven't tried but cant see any reason not to thread graft a pyracantha?
aji
aji

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Mon May 24, 2010 2:08 am

Thanks for the reply aji the back of the tree faces east and the front that has the most growth is facing west . I will rotate the tree 180 and see if that has any effect if not I will implement thread grafting .I have a few trees I would like to thread graft however I have no idea when the right time to thread graft is ?? spring, summer, surley one of these and not fall.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down