Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hawthorn Journey - Seed Germination April 2020

4 posters

Go down

The Hawthorn Journey - Seed Germination April 2020 Empty The Hawthorn Journey - Seed Germination April 2020

Post  cosmos Sun May 10, 2020 8:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcsbQFfqVkE&fbclid=IwAR1XSro4FJi34JnJo7eHxfBLkZ7AS2RNVpVxa4472q_yiAfuiCMSiyQ6bTg

The Hawthorn Journey - Seed Germination April 2020 95142810

Germination of seeds can be of two types. In hypogeal germination the epicotyl extends and the cotyledons stay in the ground, whereas in epigeal germination the hypocotyl extends and the cotyledons come out of the ground. Hawthorn is a dicot (has two cotyledons) and has an epigeal type of germination.

Scarification in botany involves weakening, opening, or otherwise altering the coat of a seed to encourage germination. Scarification is often done mechanically, thermally, or chemically. The seeds of many plant species are often impervious to water and gases, thus preventing or delaying germination.

Germination success at my first try with hawthorn seeds was low. I will leave the seeds in the seeding trays for another year. Literature points out that germination of hawthorn seeds may take two years. Still I will experiment other options too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/538335943615734/
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

The Hawthorn Journey - Seed Germination April 2020 Empty Re: The Hawthorn Journey - Seed Germination April 2020

Post  Marty Weiser Wed May 13, 2020 3:19 am

Thanks for the info on hawthorn seed starting. I have had terrible luck with them while I do very well with most everything else.

Marty Weiser

cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Hawthorn Journey - Seed Germination April 2020 Empty Re: The Hawthorn Journey - Seed Germination April 2020

Post  William Feldman Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:18 pm

The video shows the seed being scraped by hand to wear down the seed coat.  Sheffields.com recommends soaking in acid:

Scarification: Soak in sulfuric or nitric acid for 1-2 hours and wash under cold water for 10-15 minutes., rinse 3 times.
Stratification: cold stratify for 120 days.
Germination: Sow seed 1/4 inch deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seed bed.

Without treatment, germination does take an extra year, and the success rate has not been great in my experience.

I have had much better success with grafting onto Crataegus monogyna rootstock, available in the US at fruitwoodnursery.com.  I have had good preliminary success with low side-grafts of "Paul's Scarlet" and "Crimson Cloud".  I did my grafts in March of this year, and the scions have already pushed out over a foot of vigorous new growth that I have wired upward into new trunks.

Here in the Washington, DC region, fungus is a real problem, so regular application of fungicide is critical.
William Feldman
William Feldman

cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:10 am

Very nice flowers, very good job.
AlainK
AlainK

cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:47 am

Thanks for the information on getting Hawthorn to grow from seed. I did a little research and the English Hawthorn (Crataegus laevigata) is considered an invasive species in Washington. I think I will focus on starting the native Douglas Hawthorn (C. douglasii) from seed and see if it will work as root stock for some of the colored cultivars in the urban landscape. I have one Douglas Hawthorn from seed that I am growing out to create a bonsai in a few years.

Marty Weiser

cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down