Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Identifying my Ficus

3 posters

Go down

Help Identifying my Ficus Empty Help Identifying my Ficus

Post  nathan33 Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Hello community,

I am a brand new Bonsai enthusiast, I've been wanting to get into the art of bonsai for awhile and finally made the jump. I bought a ficus a few days ago but I don't know what species it is. Help! I'm super excited to get started.

Help Identifying my Ficus 20181110

(Hopefully I added this picture correctly)
nathan33
nathan33

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying my Ficus Empty Re: Help Identifying my Ficus

Post  tonywel Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:10 pm

Hard to tell, because the picture is side ways, but it looks like a Tiger bark Ficu`s Benjamina . If the trunk has dark rigs on the trunk, that it, if not just Ficus Benjamina .

tonywel

Back to top Go down

Post  tonywel Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Sorry I just found a great book on Ficus, the name is Ficus The Exotics Bonsai, by Jerry Meislik.
The Mid-West Bonsai Club had him as a guest speaker last summer and He styled a very large and old fig tree.
The book id avertable on Sone Lantern website and also Amazon. This the best book on Ficus, and it will help your ID> your fig

tonywel

Back to top Go down

Post  nathan33 Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Great thanks! I'll pick up that book and go from there.
nathan33
nathan33

Back to top Go down

Post  Michigander Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Identifying your critter is going to be problematic.Shocked   There are about a billion figs, maybe more, but that's not the worst part.  The European adventurers almost always were accompanied by a botanist who named new plants he found and brought some specimens or seeds back with them.  They took the tropical plants to their Mediterranean homes and tropical colonial possessions and therein lies the rub: the Dutch, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italians, et al, named their finds in their own language, usually only remotely a translation of the native's names which varied from a utilitarian name about the plant's use to something really esoteric and not understandable by Europeans.  It gets worse.  The Dutch took plants from the Caribbean and Africa to Indonesia and Indonesian plants to the Caribbean, and traded with all the other explorers.  The Portuguese, took plants from Africa to South America, etc., the Spanish, et al did the same thing.  Naturally, everybody had their own system of naming and categorizing plants, so one guy named his for important ancestors, another for functions of the plant, another for type of flower or whatever.  Carl Linnaeus was really welcome when he came along, but it was already too late.  All the plants now had names in the original native, sometimes lots of different native tongues, all of the European languages, and in the native tongue of whatever new colony they were introduced into.

So, Ficus microcarpa being a very popular tree with everybody has these names (in Wikipedia):
Binomial name: Ficus microcarpa, L.f. 1782, Synonyms;

Ficus aggregata Vahl
   Ficus amblyphylla (Miq.) Miq.
   Ficus cairnsii Warb.
   Ficus condaravia Buch.-Ham.
   Ficus dahlii K.Schum.
   Ficus dictyophleba F.Muell. ex Benth.
   Ficus dilatata Miq.
   Ficus dyctiophleba F.Muell. ex Miq.
   Ficus littoralis Blume
   Ficus naumannii Engl.
   Ficus regnans Diels
   Ficus retusa auct.
   Ficus retusiformis H.Lév.
   Ficus rubra Roth nom. illeg.
   Ficus thynneana F.M.Bailey
   Urostigma amblyphyllum Miq.
   Urostigma microcarpum (L. f.) Miq.

And, about hundred common, non-Latin names.  If it don't come with a name tag, you're lost. silent
Michigander
Michigander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down