Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watering frozen bonsai

5 posters

Go down

Watering frozen bonsai Empty Watering frozen bonsai

Post  Js3444 Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:40 pm

So im pretty new to having a bonsai and I've had outside recently and the soil has froze but do I need to water It while the soil is frozen. Its a juniper bonsai and the top of the soil is starting to look a little dry

Js3444

Back to top Go down

Watering frozen bonsai Empty Re: Watering frozen bonsai

Post  Marty Weiser Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:22 am

Frozen trees use little or no water so it is really not necessary to water. However, if the top is exposed to dry winds it will lose moisture and that is one of the causes of winter die back since the roots cannot supply any water. As a result, it won't hurt to use a watering can or similar to apply a little water over the entire tree occasionally.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:11 pm

when you say outside, do you mean fully outside with no protection, or do you mean in a garage or shed or similar ?
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  newoptions Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:28 am

I keep my potted outdoor bonsai in my porch for the winter. I close the porch with sheets of plastic so the plants are somewhat protected. When I have snow I gather some and put it on the pots with the trees. As the weather gets warmer, the snow melts just when the trees would need it. The pots don’t become saturated so they don’t freeze and break. I’ve been doing this for about 18 years. Works great.
newoptions
newoptions

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Mon May 07, 2018 8:52 pm

I following a similar routine as newoptions does with my outdoor trees in Utah.  I find the snow is really helpful to getting them water just about the time they need it as the temperatures rise.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down