Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai

5 posters

Go down

my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai Empty my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai

Post  leslonsdale Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm

my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai Rsz_im10
Not sure if i downloaded the pic correctly
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai Empty Re: my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:35 pm

although "it has been done before" (many times) i really like yours...
(i have a suggestion for possibly reducing that 1st large branch on the right if you are interested)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai Empty all suggestions are helpful

Post  leslonsdale Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Kevin
The lower right branch has always bothered me too. Your suggestions are welcomed!
Les
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai Empty Re: my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai

Post  AlainK Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Very nice!

I think the yellow colour of the wall is a bit too flashy to my taste though, but it's a very good composition, and you can always find a way to make the wall colour a bit more neutral - that is, if you think that's a good suggestion Wink

Very good job anyway.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai Empty color a bit flashy

Post  leslonsdale Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Alain, thanks for the suggestion. If you look at the 'real' hobbit houses constructed for the movie on the internet, some of them are quite colorful. However, I get your point, and it would be easy to sand some of the color off of the cement under-layer. It might help conceal that 'new' look.

thanks,

Les
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:14 pm

leslonsdale wrote:Alain,  thanks for the suggestion.  If you look at the 'real' hobbit houses constructed for the movie on the internet, some of them are quite colorful.  However, I get your point, and it would be easy to sand some of the color off of the cement under-layer. It might help conceal that 'new' look.

thanks,

Les

Actually, I had friends in the late 70s-early 80s who were fans of the books: I gave up after some 50 pages of boring ununderstandable genealogy. Maybe I should read them again. I haven't seen any of the movies either Wink

So just take my point of view as a "non-expert".

PS: Even in Europe, what is "good taste"? I remember the first time when I went to Britain, I was 18. I was leaving London on the "Flying Scotsman", watching the dull lines of brick twin houses, and suddenly, there were about a dozen painted in every colour you could think of.

And I thought, there are some nice people here. And there were. Wink
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Nice composition, I like it. I agree the yellow is a touch too bright, a light sanding as you suggested might be perfect.

The lowest right branch that shoots up over the house bothers me a little too. But you need a branch in that position to fill space over the Hobbit hole.. I would consider removing some foliage from the top side of the branch. It is too tall compared to the tree, or you could let the rest of the tree get taller, keeping the branch static in size. A branch there is necessary, but it is too tall. If the angle could be lowered some that woul also work.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  leslonsdale Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Leo, thanks for that suggestion. I agree. That was the only tree I had at the time that would work for the composition. In the future I might find a better tree, or try to lower the branch. I have had some success with wedge cuts in order to lower a branch, but they are tricky on boxwoods because the wood is so hard and brittle. I have had some successes and some failures with boxwoods. Maybe I will graft some lower limbs on that branch, then cut off the longer section.
I appreciate the advice.
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Weeijk Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:56 am

my take on the famous hobbit house bonsai Hobbit11
Dutch attempt on Hobbit house, done by member of Nijmeegse Bonsai Club
Weeijk
Weeijk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down