Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wisteria pruning help needed

3 posters

Go down

Wisteria pruning help needed Empty Wisteria pruning help needed

Post  TKR12 Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:57 pm

I got this nice air-layered Wisteria 3 months ago when dormant and it's proved to be really healthy so very happy with it.  Seller said to prune it June/July time so I'm just seeking a bit of input as to what to chop off it so as not to remove any hope that it might flower next year.  Should it stay in its current pot or be root pruned into a bonsai pot soon?Wisteria pruning help needed Wister11
Wisteria pruning help needed Wister10

All of those branches have good growth - I'm just lost as to how best to manage it now in my quest to have a flowering Wisteria bonsai Smile so would appreciate any help anyone can throw into the mix. Thanks.

TKR12

Back to top Go down

Wisteria pruning help needed Empty Re: Wisteria pruning help needed

Post  chadley999 Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:32 pm

I am not by any means an expert. I trim back all the runners on mine to one leaflet and then let it grow out again then cut it back to the next leaflet to try and develop some woody structure. You most likely wont see flowers for some time. I think the general consensus it about 10 years before you even have the chance for it to flower. It wouldn't hurt to keep trying though. Keeping it root bound as much as possible and feed with a low nitrogen fertilizer may help. It looks very healthy so just make sure it gets lots of water as they're very thirsty

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  TKR12 Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks so much for that info - I'd an idea on the length of time before flowering so not too concerned on that front - more on ensuring I don't do anything wrong at this point so that I at least have the best chance of getting them when they're ready. I keep hearing about low-nitrogen feeds but never get an actual feed name e.g. Green Dream or whatever. Is tomato feed low nitrogen enough for this purpose?

TKR12

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Tomato fertilizer - what are the NPK numbers?

You can use a fertilizer sometimes called "Bloom Booster" or similar. I have one and the ratios are 9-50-10. This is what's known as a low nitrogen fert.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:48 pm

As augustine said, we need to know the npk numbers of the fertilizer. The brand is not as important as the actual numbers. The numbers you see on fertilizer refer to the nutrients they contain. For example, in a 20-20-20 fertilizer the first number corresponds to the 20% nitrogen the fertilizer contains, the second the 20% phosphorus, and the third the 20% potassium. As for a specific brand there's many, I use schultz cactus liquid plant food its 2-7-7. I found fertilizer that was 0-X-X quite expensive and hard to find outside of a specialty hydroponics store.

As for the health of your tree, wisteria are strong growers but you dont want to starve it of nutrients. If you only use one type of fertilizer it can lead to a lack of certain elements so its good to switch what you use to fertilize.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  TKR12 Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Apologies for delayed reply - kept forgetting to check out the info - took a pic as I'd prob get the numbers wrong or something Smile

Wisteria pruning help needed Tomato12

TKR12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down