Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pyracantha, yes or no?

+4
davidlpf
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
JimLewis
mskelbel
8 posters

Go down

Pyracantha, yes or no? Empty Pyracantha, yes or no?

Post  mskelbel Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:56 pm

When I bought this tree, I was told it was a Pyracantha. When I look at different pictures of Pyracantha on google, the leaves don't really look the same. It's grown very well, almost too well, and is in great need of a trim. I worry about trimming it this late especially since I'm not sure what it is. I've tried to upload a better picture of the whole tree but it keeps turning sideways.

Pyracantha, yes or no? 20151016

Pyracantha, yes or no? 20151017

Pyracantha, yes or no? 20151018
mskelbel
mskelbel

Back to top Go down

Pyracantha, yes or no? Empty Re: Pyracantha, yes or no?

Post  JimLewis Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:09 pm

It certainly is NOT a Pyracantha.  There's a wide range of plants it could be.  From whom did you buy it?  Bonsai nursery, regular nursery? Mailorder?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Pyracantha, yes or no? Empty regular nursery purchase

Post  mskelbel Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:49 am

JimLewis wrote:It certainly is NOT a Pyracantha.  There's a wide range of plants it could be.  From whom did you buy it?  Bonsai nursery, regular nursery? Mailorder?

I bought it from a regular nursery. In fact it was the nursery Precarious suggested in my introduction thread, Family Tree Nursery, In Liberty, MO near Kansas City. I made a point of asking what it was and that was what I was told. The first person I asked had to ask someone else because she didn't know and he seemed pretty confident when he said so. It was the only thing I bought at that store, but then we ended up at another of their stores and I bought a beautiful brush cherry at their Overland Park store. The second store seemed so much more knowledgeable. When I came home with it I started researching the Pyracantha right away and I pretty much knew at that point that it wasn't what I was told. I just want to make sure I get it right. I've brought it in as we had a few frost warnings already, but I don't know if it needs to go through any kind of dormancy or not.
mskelbel
mskelbel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:34 am

from what i can tell, the trunk looks pyracanthical...
but not so much the foliage...

any chance you can take it to the nursery's second location to ask that more knowledgeable person ?

probably a hassle, but probably worth it...

re: dormancy or not, it would be best to find out sooner than later, and playing it safe re: frosts is a good idea for now, but as the season progresses you are really gonna need to find out what it is

sorry i cant help more
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  davidlpf Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:01 pm

It looks like a Sageretia theezans to mee.

davidlpf

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:17 pm

If you have confidence in the second store take it to them. Two other suggestions are to contact your local bonsai club, which you should join, or your local Agriculture Extension Office. Good Luck
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:40 pm

Looks like privet to me.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:52 pm

davidlpf wrote:It looks like a Sageretia theezans to mee.

Looking at the newest leaves gave me the same impression.
Is the bark flaking off anywhere? Lightish brown underneath?
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Hello mskelbel,

I am certain that davidlpf and LanceMac10 are correct.  The tree in the photograph is Sageretia theezans, common names include: sageretia, sweet-plum, and chinese sweet plum.   It is a very common tree in cultivation as bonsai, a quick web-search or preferably a quick consultation with those that have bonsai cultivation experience in your area will yield a great deal of information.  Sageratia is not hardy in subfreezing temperatures so I presume that you will need to bring it indoors in winter.  It does not go dormant in winter, so while temperature outdoors may go below freezing you will need to provide it with abundant light indoors.

I hope this is helpful!
David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  mskelbel Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:45 pm

I googled the Sageretia theezans and I agree. I believe it is a sweet gum. Beer City Snake and DougB, I'm unable to go to that second nursery. It's about 3 hours away. My husband and I went there on a little weekend excursion. As for my local Bonsai club, I am a member. We won't be meeting for another few weeks and our group is small. There is not much interest in bonsai in Wichita, Ks. I asked here specifically because there are so many knowledgeable members to this forum and I knew I would be pointed in the right direction. Thanks everyone! Very Happy
mskelbel
mskelbel

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:49 pm

I believe it is a sweet gum.

I believe you mean sweet PLUM.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mskelbel Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:19 pm

JimLewis wrote:

I believe you mean sweet PLUM.

LOL! Yeah, that's what I meant.
mskelbel
mskelbel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down