Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bonsai pest on powder puff

4 posters

Go down

bonsai pest on powder puff Empty bonsai pest on powder puff

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Hello
For the past few years I have been battling these creatures on the powder puff, especially during the winter inside under lights, usually being outside cures this problem along with a few sprays of bayer rose and flower insect spray.
But this season they dont seem to want to die off.
They are sticky white little puffy spots mainly on new growth and around the flowers.
bonsai pest on powder puff Aphids10
Thoughts?
Thanks!!
Bryan

Last edited by rrubberbandman on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

bonsai pest on powder puff Empty Re: bonsai pest on powder puff

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Moved to pests
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:49 pm

oops sorry

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Hello from Hampton Roads.
It looks like those leaves in your photo have wooly aphids on them. The sticky stuff you are finding is called 'honey dew', and is what they secrete after sucking the juice out of the leaves of the tree they have afflicted.
A treatment of Bayer Tree and Shrub systemic will fix this problem - on that tree. I see you are also getting sooty mold buildup on the leaves of the attacked tree, as well. This is caused by the honey dew, as the sooty mold likes to feed on IT!
Fortunately, though the sooty mold on the leaves of your tree is unsightly.... it will do no serious harm to the tree.
-
Do you have a Hackberry tree (s) in your yard? Close by in your neighborhood? The wooly aphids in our area are attracted to that species of tree and are very keen to build up and feed on them. This usually does no serious harm to the afflicted Hackberry tree, but will cover literally everything around and below the attacked tree with sticky honey dew. It can be a real mess!
And unfortunately, the exploding population of wooly aphids can sometimes move from the Hackberry they were initially attracted to, and decide to nibble on other things in your yard as well.
This spring, after enduring a horrible infestation of these little nasties the previous summer, I fully treated two Hackberry trees in my own yard with systemic insecticide, and my neighbor cut down another.

That cured the wooly aphid infestation.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:16 pm

Auballagh wrote:Hello from Hampton Roads.
It looks like those leaves in your photo have wooly aphids on them.  The sticky stuff you are finding is called 'honey dew', and is what they secrete after sucking the juice out of the leaves of the tree they have afflicted.
A treatment of Bayer Tree and Shrub systemic will fix this problem - on that tree.  I see you are also getting sooty mold buildup on the leaves of the attacked tree, as well.  This is caused by the honey dew, as the sooty mold likes to feed on IT!  
Fortunately, though the sooty mold on the leaves of your tree is unsightly.... it will do no serious harm to the tree.
-
Do you have a Hackberry tree (s) in your yard?  Close by in your neighborhood?  The wooly aphids in our area are attracted to that species of tree and are very keen to build up and feed on them.  This usually does no serious harm to the afflicted Hackberry tree, but will cover literally everything around and below the attacked tree with sticky honey dew.  It can be a real mess!
And unfortunately, the exploding population of wooly aphids can sometimes move from the Hackberry they were initially attracted to, and decide to nibble on other things in your yard as well.  
This spring, after enduring a horrible infestation of these little nasties the previous summer, I fully treated two Hackberry trees in my own yard with systemic insecticide, and my neighbor cut down another.

That cured the wooly aphid infestation.  
Thank you for the reply....i will investigate and see about the hackberry trees.
Thanks again for informative post!
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  Trent23 Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:29 am

It is really bad that you have got pests in your garden. You should look for a professional Pest control Port Macquarie firm for the pest management in your garden. I just hired the pest management services from Midnorthcoastpestcontrol.com.au and would like to suggest you too to hire them!

Trent23

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Trent23 wrote:It is really bad that you have got pests in your garden. You should look for a professional Pest control Port Macquarie firm for the pest management in your garden. I just hired the pest management services from Midnorthcoastpestcontrol.com.au and would like to suggest you too to hire them!

Hmmm, Trent.  You say you are in the USA (not helpful, BTW).  I hope you realize the pest control firm is in Australia.  Or, you will admit to trollhood.

And to the OP, hiring a pest control firm to clear your trees of aphids is absurd.  And, looking for hackberries is pointless.  you almost always will have pest issues when plants outside for the summer are brought indoors for the winter.  Any spray with pyrethrins will take care of the problem.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down