Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions

2 posters

Go down

ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions Empty ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions

Post  peet29 Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Hello,
I am growing ficus kimmen in my office ( I have it several months ). It is very bright office, the bonsai have direct sunlight several hours in afternoons. However after short time ficus started to lean towards sun. I believe that it is natural for all plants, but I guess that it is not very suitable for bonsai. I understand that it is very basic question but I wasn't able to find answer.

I welcome any advices not only about this issue but concerning my bonsai in general. Currently, I let it grow "quite wildly" I do not trim it much.....basically, It has nice shape and I am still thinikng and researching what to do ...
ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions WP_20150727_004
ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions WP_20150727_002

peet29

Back to top Go down

ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions Empty Re: ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Turn the pot every few days, so the sun hits at different angle. You should remove about 1/3 of those branches, making space between them.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions Empty Re: ficus kimmen - leaning towards sun (how to avoid it?) + other suggestions

Post  peet29 Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Thank you. This is probably the best solution, i did it few times, but wasnt sure whether it is ok to do so.
Regarding the second part of your comment. I see thst it is quite "ovewcrowded" but i was afraid to cut branches. I used to cut leaves but they grew quite quickly.

peet29

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:02 pm

If your scissors are sharp, cutting the branches will make your tree happier in the long run.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  peet29 Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 am

OK, thank you for help!

peet29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down