Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning pots

+19
dick benbow
peter krebs
John Brocklehurst
handy mick
Mike Jones
Russell Coker
Geof
landerloos
Will Heath
TreeKiller64
prestontolbert
Roger S Case
John Quinn
mikesmith
NELSON HERNANDEZ
Alan Walker
Eastern Bonsai
Dale Cochoy
JimLewis
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cleaning pots - Page 2 Empty Re: Cleaning pots

Post  handy mick Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 pm

I to get the white residue on my pots, somehow I believe it will always be. I use baby oil, (that's the oil you get after you squeeze babies) it just makes the pot look new again and is not harmful to your pots, deadly to babies.

Mick.

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Oil disguises the white residue. It doesn't get rid of it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 pm

JimLewis wrote:

BTW, I still think it is something in the chemical nature of the clay or glaze that instigates the formation of this white residue. Some pots never get it. Some get it almost immediately.

I get the same problem on some of my pots. Unglazed Yixing pots tend to exhibit this. A dish scourer seems to do the trick.

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Afternoon all, this post is not written to offend or argue with anyones personal preference for cleaning their own pots.
I personally wouldnt use any type of abrasive on my bonsai pots as there is a chance that this would remove any patina that had built up on the pot.
I strive to present an aged appearance with my bonsai and where possible I like to use an aged pot, not dirty but with a patina showing age, not a shiny brand new pot, (I do buy new pots and appreciate that they have to start ageing at some point).
Many current potters add oxides etc and try to create an aged look to their pots.
I use water and a toothbrush to clean my pots, then I wipe camelia oil onto unglazed pots and wipe off any residue to leave a clean dull finish, not an oily glossy look.
I do not use any oil on glazed pots UNLESS they have a white residue build up, then I will wipe camelia oil on, and wipe all excess off.
This is only a temporary measure and will not remove the white residue but it works fine when exhibiting.
I've read that Boon and his students used walnut oil (from the nut) and I've also been told by someone that studied bonsai in Japan for 5 years that baby oil is fine to use.
I prefer baby oil for alternative applications.....

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:52 pm

Patina on pots

http://www.bonsaipots.net/index.php?page=patina-on-old-pots

Best regards
Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks for that Peter. So the answer is to oil your new pots on a weelly basis and this will stop the development of limescale?

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi Will,
yes, that is correct.
Best wisches
Peter
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:37 pm

recently i had creme of tartar suggested as an opportunity to rid pots of build up. It sure didn't work for me
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:11 pm

landerloos wrote:I Put my pots in the dishwasher, works fine and I have had no broken ones yet.

Peter

I wholeheartedly agree Peter!!!!. I have used the dishwasher and the pots come out looking like new! It's the only way I'll clean my pots from now on. The detergents for dishwashers is designed to remove calcium and lime buildup.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:51 am

I soak my pots in vinegar. Several hours loosen the white build-up which in my area is always a lime based problem. A scour with a scotchbite sponge and rinse well, no soap or or other cleaning products are needed. I feel this is the safest way to clean them up.

David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:00 pm

I use the Sandflex blocks also. They clean well without a lot of effort and still do the job of removing scale on my pots.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Many suggestions have been given, on how to clean the pots....

Can anyone answer this question....How does ALL theese effords, affect the builiding up ,of the natural patina.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:51 am

Randy_Davis wrote:
landerloos wrote:I Put my pots in the dishwasher, works fine and I have had no broken ones yet.

Peter

I wholeheartedly agree Peter!!!!. I have used the dishwasher and the pots come out looking like new! It's the only way I'll clean my pots from now on. The detergents for dishwashers is designed to remove calcium and lime buildup.
Wow great tip thanks
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2