Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cleaning branches,,,,trunks

4 posters

Go down

cleaning branches,,,,trunks Empty cleaning branches,,,,trunks

Post  moyogijohn Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 am

I Hope there is a better way to clean the green algae from your trees than dawn dish water and a tooth brush... i am trying to clean my elm trees branches twiges trunks.... i can not get all of it off !!!! suggestions please...take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

cleaning branches,,,,trunks Empty Re: cleaning branches,,,,trunks

Post  JimLewis Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:24 am

If it is algae, a toothbrush and a bit of vinegar might do it. But soap and toothbrush is also good.

Far better to prevent -- by not watering too much, and not watering the tree -- just the soil.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:33 am

Thank you very much,,JIM,, I use some viniger sometimes also.. it is still hard to get the branches but i do my best....i thought there may be a spray of some kind... thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 pm

moyogijohn wrote:Thank you very much,,JIM,, I use some viniger sometimes also.. it is still hard to get the branches but i do my best....i thought there may be a spray of some kind... thanks john

kaizen online bonsai shop do a bark cleaner spray that certainly works on killing moss from trunks and branches, i think it does green algae too.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  graham walker Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Yes, it works well on algae.
Just be careful not to let it soak into the substate, cover the soil with plastic or similar when spraying

Graham

graham walker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:00 pm

The vinegar will kill algae (and moss). I think John wants to get the stuff OFF the branches. For that, it takes a brush -- tho I suppose if you could keep the treetop dry enough long enough it would all get very dry and then a hard jet of water would wash it off..
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:13 am

Thank you,, Marcus and Graham,, Jim is right i want to remove the green algae from the trees..the soap works but i am going to try viniger on the next one...thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:19 pm

moyogijohn wrote:Thank you,, Marcus and Graham,, Jim is right i want to remove the green algae from the trees..the soap works but i am going to try viniger on the next one...thanks take care john

I think you'll find the spray kills it and makes it dissappear though - you keep the tree dry, spray it, forget it, and when you look again the crud has gone - i think it turns it to a fine powdery dust that just blows off - i know my pines have lovely bark again and i didnt do any brushing, scrubbing washing or blowing.

i dont think you'll be dissapointed, several members of our club use it regularly

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Marcus ,,ifound the cleaner for L 725 NOT WITH SHIPPING...Do not know the price in u.s. thank you for the information johnn

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:04 am

THANKS,,,,,,,,I used Jim,s viginer idea on a tree tonight ..it does work well when you get pasted the smell!!!! thanks all take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down