Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q. Faginea leaf problem

3 posters

Go down

Q. Faginea leaf problem Empty Q. Faginea leaf problem

Post  my nellie Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Soft new leaves are just emerging on my oak.
But then they are twisting from both sides (like a cigarette) and do not keep on growing.
Is it some insect attack?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
I will have some photos to post tomorrow morning for you to see.
Thank you in advance.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Q. Faginea leaf problem Empty Re: Q. Faginea leaf problem

Post  my nellie Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:23 am

Here the photos are :

Q. Faginea leaf problem <a href=Q. Faginea leaf problem IMG_8798_zps25cfdc2c" />

Q. Faginea leaf problem <a href=Q. Faginea leaf problem IMG_8799_zps537df561" />

Q. Faginea leaf problem <a href=Q. Faginea leaf problem IMG_8800_zpsf6468c6c" />
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:42 am

Good morning everybody!
Any suggestions?  Very Happy 
Should I use some kind of insecticidal spray?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Nellie,
I have had a similar thing happen with Chinese elms. I asked around at my club and some thought it was insects while others thought it was fungus. I finally came to the agreement that it was some sort of fungus because I could never find any insects to blame even with a jewelers glass. I sprayed with a light organic fungicide and it helped quite a bit but wasn't perfect( about 90% better).

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Thank you, Todd!
I cannot see with magnifier glass an insect, either.

This is a helpful website Forestry Images of the University of Georgia’s Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health, if you do not know about this already.

Have a nice weekend!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:53 pm

If I would see one of my trees like this, I would immediately think of root problems, check drainage, check for Vine weevil, check for root rot. I would flush the soil till clean, remove any fertiliser if present.
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Thank you very much for your interest, Arihato!
Drainage is perfect. I think I need to take the tree out of the pot and check for root problems as you said.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:11 pm

I think that unless there is visible damage from pests, or visible fungus present (might look at it with a loupe or a microscope), it would be the first thing to suspect root trouble.
I usually smell my tree roots at repotting time (yes I'm a smell nut), so I have a fairly good idea how healthy roots of most species should smell. It is just another tool in the box..
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 am

Update for anyone concerned.
Besides IBC I have also turned for help to Spanish fora and to the seller himself because the tree is of Spanish origin.
I have been told that leaves like that are quite normal. They will start unrolling while growing as temperature is increasing.
So, I was just waiting anxiously either for them to prove correct or for taking the tree out of pot just like Arihato suggested.
Checking every morning I can see the soft leaves are in fact stretching out their twisted sides!!!

For what this is worth, the seller suggested preventive use of fungicide every two months for protection against root problems.
Also, fungus problem will give symptoms like leaves' becoming black or with black borders.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down